Stabilus hood and trunk struts

Hi everyone.

I replaced all four struts. None of them held the hood and the trunk up. Previously I had Strongarm trunk struts. They failed slowly. After that I bought URO hood struts. They failed faster. We’ll see how long the Stabilus last.
A pair of hood struts cost $39.76 incl. tax and shipping, trunk struts cost $49.05 (Rockauto, no affil.)

Good luck with your new struts. I had to do a double-take, clean my eyeglasses, and enlarge the pictures you provided - and then I did it all again! Seriously, made in USA, and made in Mexico? Not China? How refreshing! Maybe there is hope for US manufacturing after all!

Thanks Mike. The country of manufacturing was a surprise for me too. I was disappointed in the URO hood struts. They failed very fast, like in a few weeks. I’ll report back how these new ones perform.

A year ago I got a pair of Tuff Support number 612899 struts for my trunk from Rock Auto. Fitted one and the trunk stayed up and continues to stay up, so kept the second for a spare.

My daily driver Saabs use Stabilus as OEM. Very robust and long lasting, also seem to take recharging ok when they do get weak after 15-20 years or so…

I can’t remember who made the replacement struts I sourced about 10 years ago, but they came from a company in the USA that made a whole range of hydraulic struts for many applications. The pair I used for the boot were listed among many things as being suitable for a jukebox door. Compared to the UK they were very cheap at the time but I ended up paying more import tax duty than the actual cost of the two pairs I bought. They are all still working perfect, the pair on the boot are so strong that they will actually raise the lid once it is opened past a few inches, I still have to raise the bonnet by hand but they hold it up perfectly.

93 XJ40 RockAuto, Jun 2021, Tuff Support TF613462, front, TF612899, rear. $10 each, $40 for all. Still working like new.

Thanks all for the reply. I’ll keep in mind the Tuff Support. Before the URO and Strongarm, I had OEMs but after 20+ years they got tired.