Starter button dead but works from solenoid at firewall?

Hello, I had just been out on a nice drive the other day visiting some friends and done some shopping in my 61 mk2. All working perfect. Drove home and parked outside the garage and when I tried to start her later on the starter was dead. Had to use the button on solenoid in engine room to start her. I charged the battery and tried, still no luck. I have measured the button and thats ok so what is my best option?
Regards
Thor

Hello Thor, good of you to think of using the solenoid button. Sounds like your start button wiring has an electrical “open” somewhere, poor or missing connection along the wiring or in the button switch.

From the starter to the starter button the wire could be loose connection at starter solenoid or starter button. Or it could be a break inside the wire somewhere along its path.

From the starter button back towards the control box, similarly there could be a loose connection or break in the wire. The control box typically feeds the starter button and the ignition and ignition warning light from a junction point where these wires leave independently from the shared control box wire. You know the wire from the control box to the junction is good since your ignition worked with the solenoid button and ran thereafter. This would narrow the possibility towards the control box as being only connection or wire break from the shared control box wire junction and up to the starter button.

The starter button also may not work correctly. I say this for thoroughness since you already mention you “measured the button and thats ok”. If “measured” means you used an ohm meter across the starter button switch, or some other means to prove electrical continuity, then this is not a likely problem area. If “measured” means the starter button pushes down as normal, then an electrical check still is warranted.

In any case, it sounds most likely a loose connection or a break in a wire. Such problem is not too hard to cure once isolated.

MK2 has a brown feed from the starter solenoid battery connection
to the ammeter, from the other ammeter connection a brown / white
cable connects to the ign switch then out via a white cable to the
starter push which connects to the starter solenoid via a red / white
cable. The control box does not feature in the starter circuit.
My first check would be to flash from the battery live to the red / white (small ) connection on the solenoid WITH ign OFF.
If the solenoid is OK starter will engage, if not solenoid is the problem. If the solenoid is OK then check for 12/ 13 volts at the
starter push white connection, if the starter push itself is OK then a break in the white / red cable to the starter solenoid likely, easily checked at the solenoid
by pushing and holding the starter push, ign on, and checking voltage at the
solenoid red / white connection, this latter would be my second
check .

1 Like

Hello Peter, thank you for these tips! I will start tomorrow and go trough. I was lucky that she stopped at home.
Best regards
Thor

Hi Roger, thank you also for the explanations, I will start to look over this tomorrow and let you know my findings.

Best Regards
Thor

A button pushing assistant, test light, and ohmeter are your friends.

Always remember never to mess with your starting system if the car will move for any reason when the starter engages. Take multiple precautions against this ie chock vehicle tyres