Starter hook up

Well…no joy here.

Grounded neg to chassis, used my bug light on + terminal and touched it to the two tabs each in turn. The one at 10 o’clock lit the light meaning continuity. The one at 3 o’clock did not light the light.

And, neither one made the solenoid click. Could I possibly not have enough amperage to move the solenoid? I am using a 200 amp tractor battery I bought just so I could move it around to do tests. I thought it didn’t take a lot to just get a click out of the solenoid.

I’ll stick battery on the charger in the meantime while I await more advice. :innocent:

Are you saying you touched a circuit probe like this?

Not sure how that would work for triggering the solenoid. Did you try just connecting the chassis to ground and touching a hot wire to each of the terminals?

I say ‘hot’ wire because I do not know if your car ir positive or negative ground.

Anyway, you have plenty of battery for the test.

OK. That’s better.

On a hunch, I removed the bug light and used a 16 gauge jumper wire. Touched to terminals the 10 o clock one makes the solenoid noise and the 3 o clock one does not.

So, consensus? I should be good to hook up the 10 o clock one to the starter button wire?

btw it’s neg ground

Sounds right to me, though I am not sure which is 10:00 and which is 3:00.

On the right side. the horizontal one with the long exposed tab is “three” o clock.

The upper most I am calling 10 o clock.

Thanks to all

tough to get a good pic when the light bounces back at you

Quite obvious to me that the nut/large spade gets the power source and the small spade to the side gets the starter signal from the button.

A 30A battery charger had trouble turning the motor and triggered the solenoid just fine. Both at once blew the fuse: the probe is nowhere enough.