Starter hook up

I have FLAP supplied starter for a later jag not as original.

I hate to ask such a dumb question but how do I hook this up? Which lug gets the Bat cable and is there only one spade connector that comes from under the dash to the other lug?

It’s only a guess - but looks like the big cable lug goes to the upper big terminal which also has some small spades for power take-off if needed.

The lower big terminal should be connected to the starter (I think I see the strap).

Then peeking out I think I see the spade for the white/red wire that triggers the solenoid.

Since it is only a guess I’d wait for 2 more replies with the same guess or 1 reply from someone who is sure.

I will agree with Geo, but an end photo of the solenoid may help to confirm what we are looking at.
Tom

better?

Yes. You might remove the upper nut and then pull off the various smaller spades that will be loose on that post (looks like a 3/8" and a ¼") just to make things less confusing… unless you have a use for them but I think you do not.

so you think I only need two, the battery cable and one connection to the other lug. And, I think that connection for the other lug comes out of the “main body harness” not the alternator harness.

You need a large always hot positive cable from the battery to the solenoid and a small cable from the ignition relay (red/white) that switches the solenoid on. The terminal with the copper bar that goes to the motor is finished, the one at the top should get the power cable and there is a third (spade) for powering the solenoid.

Sorry for my lack of understanding. are you describing the original starter with that bar device? This is not the s1 starter.

I don’t know why I think so but, I thought there wasn’t a relay on the S1?

OK, more info: pics

So far the advice is to put the bat + cable on the top lug, throw away the tabs on the top lug now. Then attach starter button lead to tab on side of solenoid…but there are two tabs. see pics.
Which tab gets the lead from start button?

TIA

Yes, that is the question.

Were it I, I would assure the starter body is grounded (ground cable connected to battery), leave the big cables off (don’t let them touch anything if the battery is connected) then briefly touch a hot wire to each of the two small lugs. The one you want will produce a loud click as the solenoid throws.

You may find that both of those terminals produce a click.

Be careful, use good judgement, don’t take my word for it, YMMV, etc.

1 Like

Don’t fold, spindle or mutilate: do not take if allergic to any ingredients in this starter, close cover before striking.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think both have them… here is the copper bar in your pic:

Strap

Can you see where either of the tabs go, ie, do they connect to either large post or do they simply go into the plastic solenoid housing?
Are either of them marked? An S and/or an R maybe?
If they are an S and R post, and you check with an ohm meter, the R post will have continuity to nowhere. The S post will have some continuity (not zero ohms) to ground.
Tom

they seem to go just into the plastic. No markings of any kind, curses.

Don’t have main dash harness in or battery hooked up.

Can I just jump 12 volts to one tab direct from a battery, while connecting neg bat post to chassis. Starter should be grounded through chassis, yea?

Yes, that should work.

Just check it. Be afraid but do it regardless:

(-)ve to the housing
(+)ve to a screwdriver. Now you tap the screwdriver onto the terminal with the copper bar while holding against the torque reaction: this should run only the motor. Don’t short the screwdriver to the housing.
Next find which of the contacts makes the solenoid click and which one does nothing. Then you know what goes where.

Make that usually starter relay, wiring colour should be the same though, for later on. It’ll probably be the starter button then instead of the relay.

?why do I have to run the starter motor? doesn’t the strap on the lower lug mean the bat cable goes on the other lug? Then all we need to know is which little tab moves the solenoid?

Yes, you don’t have to run the motor and yes to the rest too.