Steering Alignment for 66 2+2

Hi,
Are there any videos around to show how to do this on an E Type?

Hi…there are probably plenty on youtube…but full details are in the service manual…steering alignment on a E type is not just a simple adjustment (unless its just tracking) camber is altered with shims and castor by adjustment of upper wishbone…alter any one and it can affect the others…Also not a simple job for a workshop to do unless they understand E types as there is quite a bit of dismantling to do to alter the shims…Also ride height should be set befor alignment…Steve

2 Likes

What they said. Nothing mysterious but a tool to measure camber & caster will help. Mostly it is just careful prep, some 8th grade math and a bit of wrenching. Many shops may take shortcuts - setting toe-in and just saying that caster & camber ‘are okay’ without really getting into to it. The problem is the time involved - at their hourly rate a proper alignment might cost $500 or more - a figure they would expect most customers to balk at.

One option you have is to have them measure and report the #'s. Then you take it home and make the adjustments since a shim thickness results in a known Camber change and a rotation of the upper control arm results in a known caster change. Toe is quite easy to set yourself. (Sorry I don’t know the camber/caster changes off the top of my head.)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Toe is what I am really on about. Any

advice greatfully received. Thats why I hoped someone had done a
“how to” video.

FYI, I do my own alignments on all my cars, old and modern. There are lots of Youtube videos on “DIY alignment”. Understanding Camber, Caster and Toe also helps. There are a number of posts on here on XKE alignment and what you want to achieve using modern radial tires. Basically you go for equal max negative camber that removing shims on the upper A arm will allow in the front, and then tweak caster so the car does not pull to one side or the other. A Google search is your friend…

I have wide tyres on alloy rims…in excess of 6" and all was
well until I did a front end rebuild. I must have accidently or
unwittingly changed the toe in while moving the rack around the
garage…now on one lock the LH tyre touches the frame and is
clearly out of wack. Thanks again for the advice.