Steering column bushes

Has there been any updates on fitting bronze bushings for the steering columns for an S1? I just read thru the archives, and found the extended discussions on the plastic bushings, and now see what my mistake has been fitting these up. Two years ago I replaced these bushes, Dremeled out the inside to relieve the pressure on the column, and added grease just to be sure (Lithium, I think). What a mistake! Yesterday, the upper bush completely disintigrated itself, so today I replaced both bushes with another set I obtains thru XK’s, hoping the fit would be improved. After replacement, (without the Dremel modification procedure), the steering is so tight I consider it a hazard to drive, so I know I have to pull it all apart again, remove some of the inner surface, and reassemble DRY. But if there’s a way to obtain an upgraded bronze version of these bushes, I’d love to quit wasting time on this antiquated design.
Thanks,
Tim
'67 OTS

Same thing happened to me. Apparently any type of grease will cause this. The most you can use is a bit of graphite, and not the kind suspended in oil. My bushing turned to mush.

You are safe sanding it a bit though as long as it’s smooth an even. I’d do it with some fine paper wrapped around something close to the diameter. It can also help to polish the shaft.

I use Delrin. Find someone to turn you up a set of bushes on a lathe. I make mine around 1" wide.

I think they are the same as my 420G, and while it is the lower bush that was worn out on mine, I was quite shocked to find a PO had replaced the upper bush with what appeared to be standard PVC pipe…it was about 2" long compared to the ~3/8" original item, and seemed to me to be a “lifetime” repair, as I have had the car 20yrs, and there was no sign of any wear at all

I replaced the upper bushes on both of my cars many years ago while working on the horn mechanisms. Sourced form xk’s most likely. They were tight when installed so I used silicone grease on them. Sanding was not required. I have not had a problem since. I expect red rubber grease would work also but have no experience with that.

This is the only kind of grease that might work, the super lube stuff. Have you had occasion to inspect them physically since they’ve been stewing in the stuff? It’s not a particularly fast failure. Mine were fine for a couple years and then suddenly blew apart on a turn and fell out in a greasy pile at my feet. It gave me quite a shock because the steering is grossly affected.

I would look at Oillite bushings. They have PTFE/oil impregnated sintered brass bushings that if the correct size is found would be a lifetime fix and would be really smooth in operation. I don’t have the ID/OD dimensions of these bushings but here is a webpage that you can see if they make them in the required size. Otherwise you could get them in the correct OD and machine them to the correct ID (simple drill press would work).

https://oilite.com/Products/Product-Line/view/parttype/ppl/4/pt/1

I have not had a reason to inspect the ones on my fhc but the replacement was 25 or so years ago and there is still no slop in the column. I only drive 1-2 thousand miles a year. The ones on my ots were only used for a couple of years before it went in for the long multiple decade sleep. It is the one now under painfully slow restoration so I will eventually be taking that column apart again. I did take it for a little joy ride in my driveway before disassembly 2 years ago and the column was not loose. When I take it apart I will report if the bushing has been damaged.

Must have been too much g-force! :grinning:

I think it would short out the horn to have a full metal bushing unfortunately. What you can do, and was done for me is to ream out something plastic, even a set of stock bushings, then insert and hone a thin bronze bush. It just has to be insulated.

While R&R my horn slip ring assembly this weekend, I removed all remnants of the silicone lube I applied to the plastic (nylon) replacement bushings I installed about three years ago. I also lightly sanded the inside of the upper bushing with 400 grit paper. The clearance between the column and bushing was only slightly altered, but it made a big difference in the ease of steering. I did not apply any new “grease” just left it dry.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies. If I had no choice, I’d probably go with sanding the inside of the current bushes and just living with them, hoping they don’t turn to mush or sand in a few years, although keeping them dry (or going to graphite) might be an OK solution. But those sintered brass bushings that Doug suggested look like the best, final solution. Does anyone have the precise measurements of the shaft (upper and lower ID’s), and the ID of column? I’d be happy to invest in a set of these Oillite bushings and report back.
Thanks,
Tim

As I mentioned, I’m pretty sure that by doing a full thickness bronze bush you’d be forced to disconnect your horn. There is a reason it has that crazy complicated horn brush system with all of the insulators on the column and steering wheel hub. The outside of the bush would have to be insulated.

Based on Erica’s input you would need to have the OD of the oillite bushing fit into the ID of a very thin non-metallic sleeve to avoid shorting out the horn. Maybe even just a little heat shrink on the outside of the oillite bushing would suffice. This would still add to the OD so you’d need a very slightly smaller bushing. This is getting more complex than I intended… (as do most things).

I would machine out a factory set, the reason being that it has the locating ears on the outside to keep the part from migrating. You could reduce it by a fair amount so long as enough was left that it didn’t split. Realistically though, you could just use a very thin bushing and only reduce the factory part by 1/16-1/8". It’s not like it would wear fast from just cranking the wheel a few turns.

I believe it!!! She’s not what I would call a “Sunday driver”…

Update: So I’ve had a couple of years to test out these too-tight steering column bushings from XK’s, hoping they’d loosen up, when in fact they got worse. Steering is still tight, now also with an irritating squeak. Good news is that I finally found the easy solution to a problem which should not have happened in the first place because of a poorly made part. Moss Motors has the correct dimensions, and their bushing fit perfectly. I added a little dielectric (silicone) grease which should be safe for plastic. Now, all problems resolved and the steering feels great. We’ll see how long these last…

I got mine from SNG, five years ago - they fit and the steering column today is still perfect - no free play what so ever, and easy to turn. I’ve had zero success with parts from XK’s over the last ten years, mind you I’ve not bought much from them in that period.

As an aside oilite bushes should not have the ID reduced in any circumstances as it will close up the sintered bronze and the oil will not do its job of lubricating the internal turning shaft…… you can reduce the od if necessary to push into a bearing housing

1 Like

If I recall there are at least 2 designs used for these bushings. Of course I may recall the issue incorrectly. I replaced them and they worked fine. Would have been sourced from Terry’s or SNG. Did these on our TR50 also years ago - they do wear out. I recall a locating tang. the replacements matched the originals in all respects which could be observed.