Stone Shield LH under battery S1 hit torsion bar?

SO,
I have ordered another stone shield to replace the S2 sent to me by error. And the correct S1 number seems to fit badly also.

Does anyone else have clearance issues with the torsion bar? Pic:

It seems to angle forward towards the outside of car and the torsion bar. The rearmost bracket hole is where it should be, and the two sheet metal screws on the sill line up but, pushing up on it as if the brackets were bolted in causes contact with the TB and also that bolt that you can barely see above the castle nut.

Could you reform the shield to fit

Is it oblong? IE longer on one end than the other? Mine, also reproduction, bought from John Farrell, and it runs parallel to the bar, and also the cutout for the control arm pinion is centered on the nut. It looks like yours is right up against the edge of the cutout. Is it just that the hole for the retaining bracket it in the wrong place? Maybe you can extend it or drill a new one half an inch over.

I have had good luck getting used oem parts from Mark at jaguar south in south cariolina.

Can’t figure it out. The two holes for the sheet metal screws under the sill panel limit what can be done. The other two holes for the battery support seem to be centered. The rear of the shield fits very well up against the car. The retaining brackets are moveable so…dont think that’s it. In fact without the bolts in the bracket , it’s still a problem.

Draw an imaginary line through the shield on a 45 deg angle and the half towards the back of the car is great. the front half just “drifts” towards the outside of the car

Remove all fasteners and see if you can position it correctly. If you can, then you know where to drill to make it fit right.

matched up repo to what’s left of the old Aluminum. Size looks good but original has a graceful curve in it that looks to good to have been done in the garage. pics:

Hard to see this is the two edges held to gether repo black on right Al. on left.

And this is edge to edge.

I guess the curve takes up just enough linear space to make a difference?

Now does anyone’s edges between the under bat. stonehield and the fender shield actually meat along that diagonal edge? Because neither of these do. It’s possible the fender piece suffered a displacement but I didn’t think it would be as. much as it is.

Here’s pics of the gaps:

and of course the screwholes ae in the wrong place but that’s the least of it.

Can the mudguard fold be bent a little farther to close that gap? If I pulled out all my screws you’d see a lot of gaps too. These things are very flexible and can be pulled together pretty easily if you can get holes lined up.

so you’re telling me they ARE supposed to meet. Seems logical. The flat side on the r. in pic can be pushed up against the stoneguard…of course there’s no screw hole in the right place…I don’t think the angle of the wheel house liner, on left. has enough give to make it match up to the stone guard.

Yes they zip up tight with no seams, if you can just get a couple screws in. You may have to bore your own holes. You need speed nuts obviously.

for some reason, speed nut (J nuts, U nuts) are surprisingly hard to find. I had to buy an assortment off the internet and they are noticeably less quality than the j nuts that were originally fitted. I did this two weeks ago when I attempted to fit the Stone shield from a 3.8 that was sent to me instead of the correct unit.

Hi Bill, in your first picture there is a tab, there should be 4 tabs in total. They are there to secure a strip of rubber faced canvas to protect the torsion bar, about 2 inches wide.

Regards,
Allen

yes but certainly the canvas is not supposed to contact the torsion bar…

SPEAKING of oil soaked canvas on this piece near the torsion bar…anyone know if the canvas is supposed to overlap the edge or does it just meet the edge. Canvas is about 1 inch wide.

AND…do they go on the underside of the LH under battery stone shield (as seen on car) or on top of the stone shield?

Is the canvas strip to protect something per say? I thought it buffered the long torsion bar shields (which my car lacks as they weren’t added till later). I assumed it was to keep the shield from clunking against the frame or something.

Item # 7.

looks like it goes on top on the picture but these things aren’t always in the right place

I guess I don’t understand the purpose it serves then. My under shields have a safe air gap from the frame.