Strange electrical failure

I have had a failure of most of the fuse 7 functions - heater blower, engine fan (otter switch), wipers, oil, fuel and water gauges. The strange thing is that I have good voltage on both sides of the fuse. And the choke light which comes off that fuse is working. It appears all other circuits have failed as there is no power getting to the gauges (Inc regulator), the wipers nor the heater. I have a horrid feeling this means something bad in the loom? But grateful any other thoughts!

Mark,

Would I be correct in assuming that the car in question is your 64 3.8L E-Type listed din your “My Cars” profile? Given that Fuses#6 and #7 are directly connected have you confirmed that all the faulty circuits are actually connected to Fuse #7, and that the choke light is also connected there? Since it’s possible for the fuse holder to have a break between the fuse itself and the multiple terminals it supplies, have you checked out the terminals themselves for voltage, rather than the fuse?

Hi David

Praise be you’re right - some of the circuits on 6 and 7 appear to be mixed up and fuse 6 wasn’t making connection (it doesn’t appear to have blown across the fuse section but anyway a new one has fixed it all). I’ll keep a lookout for any faults that could have given issue to that fuse but for now my nightmare thoughts about mice and the main loom are receding! Lesson: check neighbouring fuses too

All the best

If you have a few minutes, could you make a list of what’s actually connected to each fuse? Many people have reported that the wires on 6 and 7 are swapped. Enough to make it plausible that the factory diagrams are wrong