Strange power steering leak

I have a strange power steering leak, that is driving me crazy. Perhaps I can get some inspiration from you guys… (I searched the archives for a long time, but found no relevant info)

In my `86 XJS V12 (UK Car- RHD), if I fill up and purge the PS reservoir, I´ll get great power steering, and I will have no leaks when using the car. Excellent behaviour.

Once I park the car, I will lose 100% of the fluid afterwards… sometimes overnight, sometimes over a 24-hour period. There will be a huge puddle under the car, and no sign of the leak (AKA: no fluid dripping from anywhere! - no telltale signs of a leak!).

If I raise the car, fill the reservoir, and move the steering around no matter how many times, there will be no leak, and the reservoir will remain full.

It seems like I would get this leak only when the system gets real pressure (meaning, when it gets driven, and the pump exerts pressure against the road, not only when moving); but what really is strange, is that I will not lose my fluid instantly, or even afer parking, but even 24 hours after using the car.

Any ideas?

I had a similar problem with my 94 coupe.
After going through replacing the high pressure hose I found that the leak was coming from the low pressure line because the clamps were not tightened.

1 Like

Thanks. I´ll have a look. I replaced the high pressure hose (the one with the pressure fittings, I guess) long time ago.

Will retighten the clamps.

just a theory, but the high pressure hose would surely leak under pressure where the return line would be drawn into the pump before leaking. not running, gravity draws it out. check the low pressure side.

Sorry, but didn´t get it. Could you explain a bit more?

the high pressure hose is under pressure when running, the low pressure side is not pressurized at all. it is the opposite. their is greater force to draw fluid into the pump. pump sucks in the fluid and a hole would not let fluid out, it would draw air in. think of a vacuum hose with a hole, air doesn’t leak out, it leaks in.

Thank you Jrinam. I thing I got it now, and I think you are right. I doublechecked today my low pressure side connections (from the pump to the cooler, and from the cooler to the rack, and both connections at the cooler had a very slow drip, and the collar was not really tight.

Same problem Equiprx was having!

I´ve now retightened both (one of them is a bear, as it is UNDER the coolant expansion tank), and still have to give it a try, to see how it goes!

Cheers!