Strange sound rear wheel XK120

That looks suspiciously like a new roller fitted inside the old conical race to me. The taper’s slightly different.

That could well be, hadn’t thought on that option, thanks for observing,

Math

Is the outer race still inside the axle tube?
The whole bearing was supposed to come out all together when you pull the half shaft.
Did they put the bearing in backwards?

Even dumber. Is that even possible? Yes, I suppose it is…

Hi Rob, the outer race came out together with the rest, the bearing was correctly placed and therefore came out completely

Thanks Rob for your support

Math

How was the grease in there? Full, none, gritty?
Inner seal ok?
Roger is correct, that wear pattern doesn’t look right.
And what’s with all those funny marks around the large end of the roller cage? It should be smooth like the small end.

There was enough fresh grease but, to my surprise, quite some old and hardened grease, hence my thought that no or only partial replacement took place. The markings indeed should not have been there. My conclusion therefore is that the bearing is gone and will be replaced. Since so far the job was quite doable,i will also replace bearing and seal on the LH-side

Best regards and many thanks,

Math

Math,

What is the brand name stamped into the side of the bearing. That wear pattern is very odd, as are the striations on the cage. I have seen wear on the roller bearings in some later model Ford utilities, as they used a cheap Chinese bearing. Failure rate around the 150,000km range.
While you have the shaft out check for straight, also check the axle housing for straight. You say the axle was rebuilt recently. If that is the case you shouldn’t be seeing this type of wear so soon.
Matt

Hi Matthew.

The indications on the outer race are:

A&S

IG

SPAIN

Each 90 degrees divided

On the inner race same, except for the number:

Best regards

Math

Just looking up “A&S 25820” on the web shows lots of pictures of bearings with no cage striations. how does the race look, any damage there?

Math,

They seem to be a reputable bearing maker. The marks on the cage are inexplicable without having a close up look. As Rob said was the bearing put in backward?
Also make sure shimming is correct or wear will be uneven as you are seeing on those rollers. Good luck.

Both outer and inner race look pretty good with some very light marking in axial direction on outer race. I have no idea and cannot explain the stristions. The bearing was mounted correctly, however do believe with too much play. Should only be abt 0.007", which is barely to be felt, I did feel however quite some play in axial direction with the wheel still on

Dear JAG lovers. She is running fine again with no strange sound from the rear axle! Replaced both right and left bearings and adjusted according to specs (0.15 mm). Had to remove 1 shim. Turned out that right bearing outer ring fit was slightly too easy as a result of which outer ring could “creep” which led to the noise. Fixed it with a bit of Loctite 648 and better adjustment. Thanks for all support. Math

1 Like