Stromberg starter box (choke) repair

Hi Folks, looking for some advice - got a kit from Burtons for rebuild / refurb of the stromberg 175 cd-2 on S1.5 and all went well except on the rebuild of one of the starter boxes. Inside there is a ceramic? Disc that is pushed up against the plate with holes in that slides over the inlet for enrichment during start up. On disassembly it cracked…… From what I can tell this only kicks in when you pull the choke right our. I live in a warm climate and so usually don’t need the choke fully out to start - so seems like it is really just increasing the rpm rather than enriching so been running wiht out it installed but would prefer to fix. Any suggestions on what or how I could fix this - or is thge perceived wisdom to buy another unit and salvage a starter box off it?
Thanks for any advice. Pic included of the starter box prior to disassembly.

If my understanding of this circuit is correct you do not want to run without the choke disc with the small holes in place, or a replacement. Without the plate the enrichment circuit will be wide open all the time, significantly enriching the mixture. I would either replace the broken disc (mine is aluminum not ceramic) or make a blanking plate to permanently close off that circuit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, the disc that slides over the ports that enrich the circuit is okay and working but the backing “cup” that moves with and is pushed up against the plate is what is knackered.

In your pic you can see it through the slot.

I assume you mean this back piece:

As far as I know that piece is not available by itself. You may find a used one somewhere, or take your broken one to a machinist and have them machine you a new one. Joe Curto or another carb rebuilder may have one as well- worth checking.

Thanks,

That’s the part and will try some of the carb rebuilders.