Stuck window on XJC

Hello all,

A popular topic I know from other posts. My front passenger window opens but then gets stuck half way and after that does not move in either direction. The motor is whirring so don’t think there are issues with that or the switch (which in any case is new). I can “help” it back up but otherwise it doesn’t move.

Any ideas as to what might be the issue? There seems to plenty of grease. I wonder if the coil spring is somehow rusted stuck, it doesn’t seem to move much but not sure how much it should.

Grateful for any tips. Video and pictures below.

Thanks!

Nick
Paris, France

XJC 4.2 1976 (Canadian spec)

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNc0gcCYcB53xbliaj6rbCcAThoJOTnA2nH_ACI
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipON7cgrHCIsZE75y7CzWxsWE4PLa6aCBoHJLtwM
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOruCY8eiWqgc6c_HPIYmQoZkHPaO--XttII3q1

Hi Nick there appears to be a problem with the links, getting a 404 return?

Sorry. Maybe this will work. First is the video which is probably the most useful.

Did you have any luck with the window Nick ?

On the video I hear the motor running, but the window is not moving…
I would tend to think that it’s the cable that just needs adjustment.

Aristides

Nick,

are you sure the window glass is still stuck firmly in the rail? As Aristides has remarked the motor runs. I once encountered the situation when the glass was stuck in the window frame. Rolling the window down resulted in motor action, but the rail separating from the glass. I was so puzzled that I rolled up the window again: the motor still worked - opposite direction, but the rail wouldn’t re-fit onto the glass but rather popped it loose to then ride on the rail. On the next travel of the window mimic it got lost into the door … The reason was fatigue of the rubber lip inside the window rail that is responsible for a tight fit. I increased tension of the rail and put everything together.

Two door car windows are different, but your parts BD.42559 and BD.46709 at 2I 07L might suffer from the same problem. It even sounds on the video as if the window carrier were reaching its end stop. Can you peek into to door to find where the connection from moving motor to window is interrupted?

Good luck

Jochen
75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks both, I will take a look. Window stuff is a bit intimidating but will see if I can see better what’s going on this weekend.

No progress, I took the door panel off again but still can’t see the problem. Will have to leave it to the professionals…

On another note I learnt that taking off the dashboard vents to give them a good clean is potentially unwise. Not only were they little cleaner after than before, but quite hard to get back into the plastic ducting in the dash, and which themselves becale dislodged… leaving the vents sticking out. Eventually managed to get them back in properly but took a while and had to take out the under dash scuttle to do so.

Little evidence now of exhaust smells so that is good news. Only when stationary with windows open but not much to be done about that!

Did you check is there were power on the connectors when the switch was operated, Nick…

The polarity of the wires at the connector, changes with the switch up/down. A test lamp over the connectors would verify if power feed is the problem. And you can jumpwire +/- to the disconnected connector on the ‘motor side’ - to see if there is any motor reaction…?

Clarifying where the problem may be…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Frank, thanks. The motor turns, in fact. Problem is that something jams somewhere. Here’s another video, but I am not sure it sheds much light on it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CPCJ7rNxq2TU3sEr8

Indeed, Nick - at least I don’t spot any telltale sign.

Couldn’t you just get very low down and check through the opening, whether the lowered window is sitting in its rail. Something tells me that the offending parts are located rather forward in the door.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I agree with Jochen, Nick - first steps are to verify if the window is seated and to feel if there is any obstructions…

But there are two puzzling features. The motor continues to run - and if there was an obstruction the thermal fuses should trip. Secondly; if there is a ‘down’ obstruction - it should not prevent the motor to lift the window…

I ‘think’ a ‘worm and gear’ is used, and it is possible that the gear is stripped - stopping motion halfway. It may then re-engage on the ‘up’ with a bit of manual help on the window - then repeat the performance? Or general wear may cause the worm to slip…

That doesn’t eliminate the possibility that an obstruction caused the problem in the first place - stripping a gear. It’s the failure of the fuses to cut power that is a bit odd…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe |(UK/NZ)

Disconnect the window from the lifting cable and see if it moves up and down freely. The guides have felt in the channel that wears out and it collects dirt over the years. Often a little spray of some silicone will reduce the friction and solve the problem. If it is really badly worn, just replace the channel/guide liner.

Thanks for the responses. Just to close this off: in the end I couldn’t work this out so left it to the garage. Turned out motor pinion was worn out and hardly had any purchase. I guess it lowered with gravity but it was not enough to raise it.

Anyway repaired and ok for now!

Nick