SU Carbie stud spring

Hi Again
When I removed the triple SU set from the XK420 manifold some of the manifold studs (less than half had nuts etc.) had the nut, spring washer, flat washer and then a spring securing the carbie via the stud to the manifold. If this usual and if so any hints I where to buy the spring. I have googled jag and SU stud spring with little success.
Cheers
Jacko

The E type doesn’t use the sprung studs.

Go to https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/English/Downloads and dwonload yourself a copy of the E type catalogue. It has hundreds of drawings based on the original parts manuals.

You can work out what you need and what you don’t.

1 Like

You’re talking 420G, 3.8 MK10 also fit them, must be some down there.
You could have it , if I could throw one to you.:frowning:

BTW what are you fitting the carbs to?
If to another model change the studs to 5/16 and fit insulators as per E type.

Hi Jacko…if your thinking of useing the 420 manifold on an E type you will have problems…also i dont think 420 SU carbs have the same choke mechanism as E type SU,s…Steve

Hi All
Thanks for the replies.
Fear not I have an E-type manifold, repaired and now cleaned, that I am using for the car. I bought the necessary conversion parts from SUmidel in the UK (kideny one from the daughter) and everything was there, including the choke bracket. I only had to plug the electric choke hole in the bottom of the front carbie- done using a BSF ‘plug’.
The 420 used a set of aluminium spacers fitted with o-rings that I can’t see any reason will not/should not work. The stud might be a bit long though if I am not using the springs, will have to see.
Cheers
Jacko

When are used 420 carbs on my Series 2 manifold I dispensed with the springs and used standard studs and insulation spacers.

The MK X/420G (not 420) setup uses the springs because a rather heavy cast aluminum air box is fitted to the carb intakes. The springs/O-rings comprise a shock/isolation mount to prevent the solid combination of air box and 3 carbs from fracturing. The E-type arrangement doesn’t mount the air filter on the carbs, so evidently Jaguar didn’t feel the need for the isolation mounts. I’ve tried both on my XJ6 with MK X intake, and the isolation studs place the carbies outboard compared to the E-type.

1 Like

If you’re using the SU carbs of a 420 I think you’re going to have an issue with the height of the necks on the dashpots. On an E the neck does not extend beyond the angled piece that runs from the neck to the top of the dashpots. The 420 is maybe another 3/8” higher. You’ll run the risk of denting the bonnet if you use the long neck carbs.

Hi Bob
Was not aware of that but will keep an eye on it when we fit the bonnet.
Cheers
Jacko