SU Fuel pumps ? cost

needing a couple of fuel pumps
I note that they are 330 odd pounds which is absurd.
Given the actual rectangular base can be cleaned there is no need to have to buy this part.
I had organised with BS to just puy the coil ie top part and they were 35 odd pounds but they pulled the pin on this and the cheapest pump seems to be 150 pounds to buy unscrew base through away and use genuine LCL base
SNG seem to have somthing at 100 pounds
does anyone have any thoughts on solutions terry

Hi Terry…I have often wondered if the round body/coil section of the range of SU pumps was actually tbe same unit and interchangeable. …have you stripped down the round body…does the coil come out…can the coil be re wound…wonder if SU make the coils in house or buy them in…good topic to discuss…my 150 didnt have the square body pump when i purchased it just the basic type as used on E types…it mounts ok…and works…

Yeah , expensive or what ? My mk 7 came with two Micky mouse pumps so I had no option , almost seven hundred quid , ouch :scream:

If so they rarely go bad and there’s plenty. The later ones don’t seem to be easily repairable.

Yes, the coil inside can be pressed out of the outer body, rewound or otherwise repaired, and pressed back in. I did it once because the wire was broken off too short, so I soldered on an extension wire and put it back together. It also needed a new Bakelite part that holds the points, which I got from SU Rebuilders in San Diego, along with a new diaphragm.

Hi Terry,

Rebuilding is the cheapest option. The short coil from the later SU pumps will go on to the square bodies. You can buy cheaply and canibilise a round body AUF300 series pump from auction sites. They are plentiful.

I would just rebuild a complete AUF300 type in the short term, and look for a suitable square body on auction sites for longer term.

Lots of info in this thread and others: [xk] Fuel Pumps - #18 by jav250, SU Square Body Fuel Pump - #8 by clivejer.

Regards,
Clive.

I have a short coil that works, you can have it.

john