Subframe bolt torque

Hi All,
This is my first post here, but I have been a long time lurker!
I have just refitted the frame rails today to the bulkhead and have used the original bolts with new nyloc nuts.
How tight should these be tightened? I have done them hand tight with a spanner, but is there a torque they need to be done to? I always thought nyloc nuts shouldn’t be over tightened?

I’m sure I will have lots more questions as I put this car back together!

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Morning Brian,

Here’s a link to a web site that I have used for determining the ‘torque’ I should use on various fasteners:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/body/fasteners.html
Welcome to the forum,
Cheers,
LLynn

Hi Brian.
AFAIK there is no torque specified in the manual. I do them up about as tight as I can using a spanner by hand. For a grade five 5/16" UNF fastener you wouldn’t want to go over 15 to 20 ftlb or you’d start to run into trouble.
AFAIK there is no specific problem with doing nylocs up as tight as normal nuts, although I am prepared to be corrected.

Actually, to get the same clamping pressure you need to measure the prevailing torque to run the Nylock on a thread before it contacts anything, then add that to the torque value for a regular nut of the same grade, plating, and lubed/unlubed condition.

In practice, I don’t use a torque wrench unless the manual calls for it, I use what my elbow tells me for a regular nut, plus a bit.