Sun oscilloscope and meters on roller cabinets

My dad came home with one in the seventies we didn’t know how to use it and there was no internet back then but I remember it had exhaust gas functions ,whether any of it worked I don’t know but I wish I had it now. It was probably from the early sixties and eventually got scraped .Did anyone use that equipment they became obsolete around 1980. A great wizard :mage: toy

I picked up mine from Colorado Springs Craig’s List in the fall of 2017 for $150.
It came with the original instruction manual and all leads

/
/

Sorry - I got nothing on the procedures to use it

That’s one of the later models do you use it , as I understand it there really only useful for distributor type ignition systems . I’m sure you can google the procedures but I would have thought the manual would have provided that inf
It seems to me that most two bay gas stations had some sort of engine analyzer in there back

This is in one corner of shop.

Im on the road right now, but I will answer any questions or provide manuals to anyone who needs them.
I also collect Sun equipment. Jeff

1 Like

You’ll have to tell us about using it when your free
I’d be most interested
Could have used this inf years ago

Cheers

Jeff
Do you also have a source for SUN parts? I understand you are on the road and it may be a few days before you can respond.

I have slight damage to a cable terminal and socket - see photos. I think the photos are self-explanatory:

/
/

/
/

/
/

/
/

Yup, most shops I worked in, in the 70’s, 80’s had one around that nobody really used, so I scavenged the cart which became a hugely useful tool to hold tools/parts nearer to the shop work. The new plastic and/or metal tool carts are pretty expensive, in my opinion, considering it is a simple build from not-much-changed-since-the-wheel design so I salvaged a black carpet covered big speaker box that some audiophile had scavenged the speakers, and had set out the (very solid) plywood box next to my dumpster. Threw on $13 worth of castors on one of the small ends and it works a charm as a tool/part dolly with some impromptu shelves of old Tupperware and a rolled up piece of carpet in the openings that once made noise.
I would suspect the old Sun diagnostic tools are cool to look at but not much use for modern vehicle. I could, and probably am, wrong, but they do bring back memories.
Huff

I think I have a spare.

My main deal is rebuilding/ recurving Corvette distributors.
I use the scope for dynamic/ proof of performance, as Lars does with Quadrajets on his test engine.

I have adapters to test HEI up to end of production.

This is a 1969 Vette T/I ignition, restored with NOS GM parts.

For Sun dizzy machines, Mark Saunders at Paramount Distributors is THE guy.
He has some other parts.

Craig, I do not have that cable. I will check another scope in storage.
I do have a NOS induction clamp, and a spare HEI pickup.
Let me know.

1 Like

Big2Bird

I sent a PM to take this discussion off the forum

Craig

That looks like a pin and sleeve connector from Amp, i.e. a non proprietary electrical component. Though perhaps an obsolete design. Can you see any numbers on it?

I think most of the larger garage’s in the UK had Sun ’ Tuners’ in the 70’s and 80’s. Another popular make was Crypton. At one time they had a fleet of vans with the equipment in the back and would do ’ home tune ups ’ and diagnostics on your driveway or parked in the road.

1 Like

Truly was the best part of a sun machine: my dad taught me in a very young age had to work one! Think I gave mine away about 40 years ago…

The male cable end is AMP 0624.

Good call.

Guys
Went out to the shop and took some close up photos

This is the female receptacle on the swing arm.
No discernable numbers I can see.
I assume the white plastic piece is an alignment pin
It is secured to the arm with 4 rivets (2 of which are visible here)
If I find a replacement female plug, how do I remove this one to install it? from the top of the pivot arm

The only marking I can find on the male terminal is “AMP”

The pins are labeled 1 thru 4

Looks like you need to look for an AMP are also AMP-TE connectivity Circular Connector, or just an insert if the body is sound, but it appears that is where the broken tabs are.

It will be a generic connector, there is no way Sun would pay for proprietary connectors to be manufactured.

The white nylon insert is to stop unwanted electrical contact, the housing itself is keyed.

If you can’t find the exact socket to replace with, just replace both sides with one you can.

This socket might be pretty close to yours, Search more if not, or buy both sides and a pair of inserts.
182651-1 Amp - Te Connectivity, Circular Connector, CPC Series 1, Cable Mount Plug | Farnell UK

On looking yet again I think the locking ring is broken off from the male plug, so the above link should be correct. You may even be able to re-install the locking ring onto the plug.

Thanx Dieselman – I’ll look into this reference