Tabs on picture frame on S1 or not?

“senator”, what I was hoping you would say is, “oh yeah, but it doesn’t make a damn bit of difference” however, the truth is appreciated. :smile:

believe it or not, I have that file printed in my garage. Guess what, it only printed to page 4, so I didn’t have Nick’s message on paper.

I am beginning to sense bad Karma here. :thinking:

Just tried printing again, same 4 pages.

Please see post “Another picture frame fitment question”.

thought it deserved a new heading to improve archive searches.

It’s a pretty low stress bracket. If you’re seriously averse to removing the frame, you could notch a gap in the bracket and slip it under the bolt head when loosened. I’d personally never do this because I love doing jobs 3 times. That’s where the life lessons are found.

Exactly what Erica said- you can cut a slot in the bracket from the bottom of the bracket directly below the bolt hole to the bolt hole that is just slightly wider than the bolt diameter. Loosen the picture frame bolt and slip the bracket behind the bolt and then secure the bolt. It is invisible unless you have a mirror and a flashlight and is more than sufficiently strong to perform its intended function. Ask me how I know…

Erica- life lesson found but I took the shortcut when I came to the fork in the road :rofl:

And for that matter, you don’t even really need to cut the slot wide. A simple slice would do it, then bend the tabs far enough that the gap will allow it to pass over the bolt shaft. Bend it flat and tighten down again. That way it’s impossible for the part to slip off the bolt.

I 'm on board with the slot idea already however, my problem is I haven’t fitted the bolt past the tube yet. I am still not sure that tab is fitted on my S1.

I just looked at the radiator and there are no tabs on the side where those support straps could be anchored. No mention of straps or brackets in my disassembly notes. There are “double L” for lack of better description brackets that go to the bottom of rad. and are through bolted to some kind of a support “tray”.

Are there tabs on the sides of your radiator…, or do the flat metal support pieces bolt some where else?

I’m glad that you are concerned as I do not have the brackets on my S1. Not before and certainly not after replacing the frames.

OK,
here is a pic

6dsSipo

of an unrestored car less than 1,000 units after mine. Looks like there are no side brackets, just brackets over top which my disassembly notes do show.

Still have to get the bolt heads past the bonnet frame tube members. sigh

Bill,
S1 cars use those bent straps at the top of the radiator to secure it, not side straps as on a S2 car. You have no choice but to remove the bonnet frame to get those bolts in though, unfortunately, unless you can find a bolt with a hinge built into it :slight_smile:

If the frame is still fitted and you haven’t fitted the bolt or bracket you could fit a stud and put a nyloc on both ends if not that bothered about originality. Or disregard this e mail and carry on.

Regards
Pat

I did this to a bolt and managed it.