Tabs on picture frame on S1 or not?

On one of David Langley’s excellent pics which I don’t know how to reproduce here.

file:///Users/MyAccountHome/Desktop/tabpicframe.html

there are two tabs at the top of the picture frame. I don’t recall having these on my S1 and my notes do not refer to them. There is no way to insert a bolt directly into the holes because the diagonal tube is in the way. But the holes have an internal tube in them so they look like they should have bolts.

Are these tabs present on an S1? or are the holes left empty?

PS: what are the tabs for?

TIA

Bill B

Not sure what you mean by ‘tabs’ - are they visible in this pic?

Or is one of them visible this picture?

You might be referring to the “L” shaped pieces that are the locating
places for the radiator straps. Once the bonnet frame is in place you
can’t get these radiator bolts in so you have to place these little angle
pieces along with their bolts, as you install the bonnet mounting frame.

Perhaps I’m thinking of something other than what you are.

Bill,

Are you perhaps referring to this photo:

…and the black-painted brackets bolted to the picture frame on the outside of the top tubes of the bonnet frame?

If so, these brackets are used to secure the bracing straps for the radiator on the Series 2 shown below:

As you commented, you have to insert the bolt through the bracket and the hole in the bonnet frame before you offer up the bonnet frame to the picture frame. Otherwise, the angle of the bonnet frame top tube prevents the bolt being inserted once the bonnet frame is attached to the picture frame. I can’t comment on whether a similar bracket is used on the Series 1, but the technique for getting the bolt into the hole should apply equally to the Series 1 as the Series 2.

-David

yup, that’s the tab I saw. I didn’t spot them in the parts book either.

Ok, good. Les and David provided good descriptions of those “tabs” then.

are you telling me I have to REMOVE the pic frame (again) and thats the only way to snake the bolt past that tube?

:frowning_face:_:frowning_face:

do my eyes deceive me or is it on the driver side top hole on one pic and on the bottom hole driver side on the other?

You don’t have to remove the picture frame. You have to remove the bonnet frame. You may be able to do it by removing the top bolts and just loosening the bottom ones enough that the bonnet frame can tilt forward at the top enough to allow the tip of the bolts in question to clear the picture frame, and then be inserted into he requisite holes. A pain, I know. I forgot the radiator stay brackets when I did the job, so had to do the same thing…

-David

as I see it the problem is the “head” of the bolt will not allow me to swing the shaft perpendicular to the bonnet/pic frame hole to line up and allow insertion of the bolt through what are now the combined thicknesses of the bonnet frame and the pic frame.

Can you resolve which of the two outer holes is correct for the radiator support bracket?

There is a guide on that: How do I: Add pictures to a post?

Bill,

I don’t know where you are on the assembly process but this thread was VERY helpful to me:

Note Nick’s post about 3/4 of the way down the thread.

I tried my standard way. I saved it to my computer desktop then tried to drag it, but, it would not go because the file was HTML instead of jpeg?

There is a guide on that: How do I: Add pictures to a post?

Correct. So, you have to separate the bonnet frame from the picture frame first by a distance of at least the length of the bolt. Then insert the bolt through the hole in the bonnet frame. You have to do this at an angle so that the head of the bolt clears the frame tube. The clearance of the bolt in the hole is sufficient to make this possible. Then, once the bolt is pushed all the way through, with the head against the flange on the bonnet frame, rotate the bolt to be perpendicular to the flange. Then offer up the bonnet frame to the picture frame. Of course, you have to do this for both bolts (one either side) at the same time. See me waving my hands…?

I’m not sure what you mean here. When I reassembled my car, I just used the same holes that were used before. Whether that is “correct”, I don’t know, but it fits fine.

-David

Gotcha.

The .html is a link pointing to a site where the picture is stored. Depending on what you want to do you could either:

open that .html in a browser, then paste the URL that it points to, into your post.

OR

Open it in a browser, right click on the picture and select “copy”, then paste that into your post here on JL.

OR

Depending on what browser you are using, and how the website the picture is on, you can sometimes drag a picture straight from one browser tab and drop it into the composer window here on JL.

On my S2 the upper hole is used:

Given the difficulty in relocating it, I suspect that is as original.

in the two pics you recently published above in the “dirty” pic it’s in the upper hole, and appears to be in the lower hole in the “clean” pic

OK. Now I see what you’re getting at. The first of my 2 photos (head on to the front of the rebuilt car) shows the radiator brackets on the lower bolts (both sides). The second photo (side view of one bracket and radiator brace) was of the car before it was disassembled, and shows the bracket on the upper bolt. I guess I lied…:thinking:

I don’t recall what happened there (the politician in me speaking :grinning:). My guess is that during reassembly I failed to notice the top bolts needed to be fitted before offering up the bonnet frame. So, I had to remove it again, and add the bolts first, as I described in my earlier post. Then, I found I’d left off the brackets; probably after a lot more stuff had been fitted. So, I probably chickened out and put the brackets on the lower bolts to avoid a lot of work. I’ve just taken a look at the car, and it’s pretty clear the brackets should be on the top bolts. Using the lower bolts causes the radiator bracing arms to have to be splayed a little. No big deal, but pretty clearly wrong. Apologies for misleading you earlier…

-David