Tail light housing S1

I have been told despite being the same part # , there are 3 distinct tail light housing shapes on the S1. Is this true and if so how were they made, or can you contour one to fit a different model. I was told the OTS and FHC are different and possibly a 2+2 .

Actually four different S1 configurations

Early FHC, OTS, Later FHC and 2+2. It has to do with the pitch of the bodywork. They’re pot metal. The OTS items have more meat to them so (theoretically at least) can be shaved down to fit the less acute angles of the coupes, but I imagine you’d have some problem achieving a close fit without some kind of template. Even then, the internal structures might be different too - that, I do not know.

Garr,

XKs lists three different part numbers for the three different models… catalog p. E231. “Early 3.8” – you are on your own.

Jerry

Thanks for the replies. Now I have a better understanding of what I am trying to achieve. I’m guessing my 1962 must be an early coupe! I Wonder what a late S1 coupe is and how different the bodywork is!

Garr,

No need to guess, what’s the serial number? 886013 is the last one with the “early” taillights, according to the parts book.

Jerry

Mine is earlier than 886013 for sure…

Then it’s the same as the '62 I had, built before the “major revision of the Coupes” in about May 1962. You’re going to find a lot of parts on the rear end are quite different from the later coupes and generally not interchangeable…

However, a later coupe light might fit because part of the rear edge is covered by the lip on the rubber gasket.

The lights shown here on my car are almost certainly the later type, replacements purchased from Jaguar back in about 1977 but they fit reasonably well.

I have several old pairs of tail lights and most of them have a much more curvy rear edge.

I looked in my XK 's Unlimited Parts Catalogue Volume X Page 131, does not show any early or late difference. I would like to get the correct part # for the Early FHC 2 seater, (built in March 62) tail & stop lamp assembly or housing. For both or specifically left. My catalogue has no E231 and 231 is for rubber parts.

It sounds like you are looking at a very old XKs catalog. The more modern catalogs are per-model or model-series. They can be looked up online at xks.com, or downloaded. In this case, however, what you really need is the Jaguar Parts Book. The parts numbers for the FHC Tail LIghts for early FHC (prior to 886013) exported to the US are C.17933 (Lucas 53950) RH, and C.17934 (Lucas 53949) LH. Neither are listed in the XKs catalog. Whether you can modify the later ones, or the OTS ones to fit, I don’t know.

-David

Thankyou, I have now bookmarked the XK on line catalogue but as you said these items are not listed but I have copied the #'s you kindly supplied.

Garr,

I just corrected a typo in my previous post for the LH part number. Should be C.17934, not C.19934 as I originally posted. Sorry…

-David

OK but just curios how C.17933 Lucas 53950 the C # goes one number higher to C.17934 for the LH side while the Lucas number for the LH side goes one number lower to 53949 ? Is there a part # for the pair since I have seen C18956 pair for sale. I’m assuming these are for the later S1 but don’t know for sure

I noticed this too. Who knows?

Not in the parts book

I presume you mean C19856, not C18956. This is the part number for the right-hand taillamp (Lucas 54130) for the later Series 1 FHCs. The equivalent left-hand taillamp is C19857 (Lucas 54131). If you’ve seen a pair of C19856s for sale then it is two right-hand taillamps, or (more likely) a badly described C19856/C19857 pair. Maybe your next purchase should be part number J30 - E-Type Spare Parts Catalogue 3.8L Series 1 :slight_smile:

-David

Yes you are right with that # the item is on Ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/263127927588?ul_noapp=true
and if you magnify the box you can see the part # and details