Technical Information

Does anyone have any data on the fuel injectors? There is very little in the service and parts manuals. Specifically manufacturer and part number? If you have more info (size in cc, etc.) it would be appreciated. I need info for the large and small injectors.

I am compiling a list of spare parts for the XJ220 that are available without going through Don Law Racing or Jaguar Classic. For example, the high pressure fuel pumps are Bosch and are available, spark plugs are Champion and available, gaskets are giving way to Loctite SI5660 and Permatex High-Temp, brakes and clutch are AP Racing, Gear oil in XH21 formula no longer available, but current formula Syntrax (not routinely sold in US. We get Syntrans, which is not the same) 75W-90 exceeds the specs of the original XH21 formulation, and is used in F1 and other race cars with hypoid gears. Found some at NAPA and Amazon.

I will post this list of alternative sources as I find them. Feel free to add any additional resources you know of.

2 Likes

I’d go out and look for injector information myself, but my car is at the shop and it’s closed.

Would it be an idea to talk to owners of the MG Metro 6R4 cars? I think they are they same engine?

@V12_Racer, your guys got any leads?

i would have someone actually do a pressure FLOW test on the injectors!
they give a real test sheet on paper, and then go from there!

most GOOD fuel shops have a machine for accurate tests ,pic.

now a days like everything , modern machines have gone digital, but very accurate!
believe it, a fuel injector is a much more complicated than most think ! Faircloth ,Jax. FL. is very helpful and a world of knowledge!
ron

it only takes a few seconds at wide open throttle with boost,(with one lean injector,like 10/15% less flow to melt a piston,) that would NEVER show at cruise or idle!
ron

Yes, I have already spoken with Dr. Ian Lowrance of 6R4.com. While the XJ220 engine was based on the 6R4, it was heavily modified by TWR, and not many parts are interchangeable (e.g valve cover gaskets). However, we are working on compiling a list of those parts that do cross over. In addition, the 6R4 guys have the same spare parts problem that we do, so 6R4.com makes many of the parts by scanning and duplicating originals, or modifying the original in CAD to make it better, and it is then either milled on CNC machines, 3D printed or laser cut from stock, depending on the material and application. However, this process is not cheap, so the more they make, the lower the cost per unit.

1 Like

ASNU is well known for cleaning and repairing injectors, and I have spoken to the head US office in Florida. Oddly enough I found them on Facebook demonstrating the use of their injector cleaning machine on XJ220 injectors. So they are very familiar with them, and they typically clean thoroughly, change the 30 micron filter in the injector, then test the spray pattern and operation. I’ll need to find out if they can simulate the pulse width at different engine speeds to avoid the problem ronbros mentioned. They also have a company that can duplicate the original injectors and make modifications to it if needed.

2 Likes

Any info on manufacturer (I assume Bosch), model numbers or any other data on the large and small injectors?
Anyone know why they went with 2 injectors per cylinder? I was under the impression that injectors are so finely controllable that the pulse width can be easily changed by the ecu reading off a lookup table. Seems like dual injectors just introduce another possible failure point.

Just spitballing here, but I know other high performance systems have used a 2nd injector for hi-load, hi-RPM conditions, similar to how power valves worked in carburetors.

I had hoped that picture at ASNU would be large enough and high res enough to read the numbers on the injector, but it wasn’t. I suspect that if you can get into the fuel rail with a good cell-phone cam and get a pic of the side of the injector you can ID the part number.

This is a denso 45011 but I think Bosch prints the code similarly.
Pic from: https://www.injectors4u.com/denso-multi-port-fuel-injectors/

I’m guessing that the dual injector system is simply due to the tech at the time, and a compensation for how powerful the engine can be. It’s hard to control super-high-flow injectors for idle pulse-widths just as it would be hard to sustain the injector duty cycle at high rpm high horsepower for low flow fine control injectors. My guess is that there are two different flow rate sets so that cycle-time can be controlled to less than 80% under any load/boost/rpm location.

Yeah, I’m sure Bosch is coded in the same place. It looks like the last 3-4 digits are the significant ones as most Bosch injectors (if this body style) seem to be coded: 0280150###

~Paul K.

1 Like

Much obliged. I’ll keep looking.