Technical Information

Does anyone have any data on the fuel injectors? There is very little in the service and parts manuals. Specifically manufacturer and part number? If you have more info (size in cc, etc.) it would be appreciated. I need info for the large and small injectors.

I am compiling a list of spare parts for the XJ220 that are available without going through Don Law Racing or Jaguar Classic. For example, the high pressure fuel pumps are Bosch and are available, spark plugs are Champion and available, gaskets are giving way to Loctite SI5660 and Permatex High-Temp, brakes and clutch are AP Racing, Gear oil in XH21 formula no longer available, but current formula Syntrax (not routinely sold in US. We get Syntrans, which is not the same) 75W-90 exceeds the specs of the original XH21 formulation, and is used in F1 and other race cars with hypoid gears. Found some at NAPA and Amazon.

I will post this list of alternative sources as I find them. Feel free to add any additional resources you know of.

3 Likes

I’d go out and look for injector information myself, but my car is at the shop and it’s closed.

Would it be an idea to talk to owners of the MG Metro 6R4 cars? I think they are they same engine?

@V12_Racer, your guys got any leads?

i would have someone actually do a pressure FLOW test on the injectors!
they give a real test sheet on paper, and then go from there!

most GOOD fuel shops have a machine for accurate tests ,pic.

now a days like everything , modern machines have gone digital, but very accurate!
believe it, a fuel injector is a much more complicated than most think ! Faircloth ,Jax. FL. is very helpful and a world of knowledge!
ron

it only takes a few seconds at wide open throttle with boost,(with one lean injector,like 10/15% less flow to melt a piston,) that would NEVER show at cruise or idle!
ron

1 Like

Yes, I have already spoken with Dr. Ian Lowrance of 6R4.com. While the XJ220 engine was based on the 6R4, it was heavily modified by TWR, and not many parts are interchangeable (e.g valve cover gaskets). However, we are working on compiling a list of those parts that do cross over. In addition, the 6R4 guys have the same spare parts problem that we do, so 6R4.com makes many of the parts by scanning and duplicating originals, or modifying the original in CAD to make it better, and it is then either milled on CNC machines, 3D printed or laser cut from stock, depending on the material and application. However, this process is not cheap, so the more they make, the lower the cost per unit.

1 Like

ASNU is well known for cleaning and repairing injectors, and I have spoken to the head US office in Florida. Oddly enough I found them on Facebook demonstrating the use of their injector cleaning machine on XJ220 injectors. So they are very familiar with them, and they typically clean thoroughly, change the 30 micron filter in the injector, then test the spray pattern and operation. I’ll need to find out if they can simulate the pulse width at different engine speeds to avoid the problem ronbros mentioned. They also have a company that can duplicate the original injectors and make modifications to it if needed.

2 Likes

Any info on manufacturer (I assume Bosch), model numbers or any other data on the large and small injectors?
Anyone know why they went with 2 injectors per cylinder? I was under the impression that injectors are so finely controllable that the pulse width can be easily changed by the ecu reading off a lookup table. Seems like dual injectors just introduce another possible failure point.

Just spitballing here, but I know other high performance systems have used a 2nd injector for hi-load, hi-RPM conditions, similar to how power valves worked in carburetors.

I had hoped that picture at ASNU would be large enough and high res enough to read the numbers on the injector, but it wasn’t. I suspect that if you can get into the fuel rail with a good cell-phone cam and get a pic of the side of the injector you can ID the part number.

This is a denso 45011 but I think Bosch prints the code similarly.
Pic from: https://www.injectors4u.com/denso-multi-port-fuel-injectors/

I’m guessing that the dual injector system is simply due to the tech at the time, and a compensation for how powerful the engine can be. It’s hard to control super-high-flow injectors for idle pulse-widths just as it would be hard to sustain the injector duty cycle at high rpm high horsepower for low flow fine control injectors. My guess is that there are two different flow rate sets so that cycle-time can be controlled to less than 80% under any load/boost/rpm location.

Yeah, I’m sure Bosch is coded in the same place. It looks like the last 3-4 digits are the significant ones as most Bosch injectors (if this body style) seem to be coded: 0280150###

~Paul K.

1 Like

Much obliged. I’ll keep looking.

Pulled the fuel rail and injectors yesterday. They are Denso, but I don’t know if Denso were original to the car. It’s very possible that the “regular” XJ220 injectors weren’t big enough (in cc/min) to support approx. 700 bhp ( need minimum of 650cc injectors at 21psig), while the street cars ran 1 bar or about 15psig, which only needed 550cc injectors, so TWR installed whatever they had that could flow enough fuel for the higher horsepower cars. So I would not assume that these injectors are standard. The service and parts manuals list everything in JaguarSport part numbers (I’m sure Don Law and Jaguar Classic have cross referenced all the JaguarSport numbers to real product ID numbers and manufacturer by now, but they are not publishing this information), and no one ever wrote a manual for the C, S and N race cars, so this is very much a “learn as you go” deal.

I also noticed that the coil is a Ducellier 12 volt (non-ballast) square type with unreadable part number, and I can’t find any info on this. I would have thought they’d use a Bosch after Jaguar had so many problems with the Ducellier canister coils, like on my 80’s XJ6, but no, they probably had these lying around. And a Lucas AB14 amplifier (at least I know what that is). Can anyone tell me if all the XJ220s had Ducellier coils? I’d love to replace it, but not without knowing the specs, and again the manuals are useless. Any info appreciated.

1 Like

Also pulled all the plugs and stuck my brand new color 2 camera (top and side) borescope into all the bores and nearly had a heart attack. While the honing marks on the walls look like a ring has never touched them, 2 pistons appeared to have a crack in one edge where you could see the top ring showing through. The car only has 400 miles on it, but if they overboosted it and ran some bad gas detonation could have cracked the edge (first picture). So we did what should have been done 3 months ago- a leakdown test. Thank the lord every cylinder was at the top end of the green with the engine cold. I’ve seen plenty of fairly new engines have the needle solidly in the yellow when cold. No blowback through the intake, exhaust, coolant and a few drops of oil from pressurizing the pan (rings weren’t sealed against bores in cold engine). Left the gauge on each cylinder for 10 minutes so I could sleep last night, and no leakage. Then I put the borescope in again and no more crack. Looks like a few drops of oil got into the bore, pooled at the bottom, and reflected off the cylinder wall, making it look like a crack big enough to show the oil control ring. Then the high pressure air from the leakdown tester blew out the oil (second picture). Definitely had a “moment” there, because the only engine I know of that is for sale is in Italy, and has an asking price of $110,000. Just another day at the office.

Also decided against a new Garrett GTX, as the turbo in the car appears to be a hybrid T3/T4 with an M27 compressor case. Of course there are no trim or A/R numbers that I can find, but we just sent it out to the turbo guy to make sure all is well, and he’ll be able to measure trim and A/R and replace the CHRA floating oil bearing with a ceramic ball bearing that should spool up a good bit faster. The GTX would have required cutting off all the flanges, and welding on all new flanges (everything is V-band today) which is just an unnecessary PITA. The T3/4 is still in production and is good for 400bhp (which I’ll never see at 21psig, but I could get to 350bhp per bank). I just don’t feel like buying 116 octane fuel at $7 a gallon to drive to caffeine and carburetors.

1 Like

Sheesh. Where’s yer commitment, mate?

:smiley:

Dang, knew I forgot something. Here are the pics of the pistons and bores. Crosshatching is hardly worn.

Paul- I will get some 116 fuel for the track, and I’m installing dual boost controllers. So we can go really fast. For about 10 minutes. Then my budget is wiped out:)

1 Like

Is great to read of what you are willing to do, with this gorgeous beast, but… I’m glad I’ve pared it down to a crappy old P6 Rover!

Some days I wish I had just gone with a new Bentayga. Much more comfortable, V-12, parts no problem, full warranty, and a third of the cost. Or an AMG Gelandewagen V-12TT.

But then I take my meds and I’m happy again.

2 Likes

Perhaps, but then you would have to buy a blindfold to walk up to the aesthetic abomination that in the Bentayga.