Teeves III caliper retraction

Hi I have a 1989XJS and I am wondering about changing the front brake pads is there anything you need to know about retracting the calipers for the anti lock system on this car

Thanks.

Nothing special. Just open the bleeder valves and when you push the pistons out, the old fluid will not flow back through the ABS valve body.
Obviously, after you’re done with the brake pads, you’ll need to bleed the system, but the front circuit is conventional.
Good luck.

Correction! The fluid WILL flow back through the ABS unit if you do not open the bleed nipple.

That’s another of those mistakes that will require several applications of high-octane elixor to get over. That ABS unit is stupid expensive to repair after you’ve #$%^ed it up by chucking the old filthy fluid backwards through it.

Yikes I never thought of that I’m really glad I asked. is there a proper bleeding procedure for the system that I could find somewhere

Thanks again.

The manual is a good place to start. Searching the archives here also will produce many hits. For example:

Thank you for paraphrasing what I said earlier “Just open the bleeder valves and when you push the pistons out, the old fluid will not flow back through the ABS valve body”

With English being my second language, and not being an automotive engineer, I may have not worded it as strongly as you did, but the exclamation sign was probably not warranted :-))

1 Like

So it sounds like if I wanted to put in new front calipers I would just install them and bleed them as I would a conventional system

Is that an oversimplification if I do not disturb anything else

Thanks.

Thats pretty much what I did. Like everyone else said, open nipples, push back pistons, swap calipers (I also put on new brake hoses, it’s a good idea) and I used a vacuum bleeder to bleed. It works very well. Of course I had to do my accumulator ball too. The little extra cost of the hoses is worth the little extra piece of mind, especially when you have found out just how much fun it is having absolutely NO brakes when the front fail.