TH400 Fuild Capacity

Finally had the time and energy to complete engine and transmission install after having TH400 rebuilt by reputable shop. The Jaguar Repair Operations manual gives the fluid capacity if you have only dropped the pan. That is 2.48 gallons .
When the transmission is dry it will take as much as 3.38 gallons. The later is according to the Haynes manual. This was a complete rebuild with new torque converter. Shop had not told me how muck ATF it would take and had bought only 2.5 gallons. Shop had instructed me to start by putting is 7 quarts and after starting keep checking it. So if your TH400 is dry by at least 3 1/4 gallon of ATF.
BTW car takes off better as stall speed of the new torque convert was order to be 2200 rpm.

Don,
Good to know. Thank you for that.
Jeff

Does Haynes mean imperial gallons?

The Haynes Jaguar XJ12 & XJS Automotive Repair manual states that the TH 400 transmission capacities are Service from drain and refill IMP 11 pints / US 13.2 pints / Metric 6.3 liters.
Refill from dry IMP 16 pints / US 19.2 pints / Metric 9.1 liters.
Hope this helps.

I see those numbers before. It was your use of gallons that thew me. At 8 pints / 4 quarts to the gallon Imperial or US, 13.2 US equals 1.62 gall drain/refill (you said 2.48) and 19.2 US means 2.4 gall you said (3.38).

I’ll admit to veing distracted watching UNC, but the gallon mumbers look wrong?

Pete