That Ferrari Quote

Here’s a summary of related events that seems plausible…http://www.jaguarclassic.com/pdf/E-Type_885005_Beschreibung_englisch_Nov11.pdf

Yes, but there were two other E-types there.

#885005 had arrived with a couple of Saloons on the factory truck & trailer. And ”77 RW” aka #850003 was driven there from Coventry overnight like many of you have read.

Surprisingly many people seem to forget (also at JHT) that although the test car ”9600 HP” aka #885002 Gunmetal / Black was driven to Coventry for show and test drives, actually #885005 was the car that was ”revealed” at Parc des Eaux Vives and was seen on the Jaguar stand at the show. It was / is Gunmetal / Beige.

You can find photos and info about all those cars by chassis number on www.xkedata.com

Also I interviewed the late Norman Dewis on the subject in England and made notes about it and posted them on this forum a few years ago.

Cheers!

1 Like

From what I’ve read about Enzo Ferrari, I’ve always thought this “quote” was pretty unlikely in its most popular form of “That is the most beautiful car ever built”.

It always seemed more likely that if he said anything at all, it was more along the lines of “That’s the prettiest car being built right now”…which is still a profound compliment, but is also a not-so-subtle hint to his own designers.

Regardless, the thing that has become so obnoxious is the over-use of the “quote”. Anyone who follows E-types on social media these days sees the quote repeated at least 4 or 5 times a day, and half the time, it’s associated with a picture of something like a 2+2 Series 2. Now, I’m not saying those are ugly cars, but using Ferrari’s “quote” as your caption for that particular car is nauseating.

1 Like

Yep. Pretty much standard in for sale listings.

I read somewhere that the quote went on to say “the only thing wrong with it is that is doesn’t have the name Ferrari on it”

Ouch. Harsh, man.

I imagine Sophia Loren’s sister wasn’t as good looking as Sophia, either.

The redhead on the left.

Annotation 2020-04-13 160044

1 Like

That’s a 2+2 i would drive.

:grin:

2 Likes

Yes but the 2+2 is actually useful whereas the SWB models can only carry two people, half a dozen eggs and a small fish called Henry!

That’s a 2+2 you probably couldn’t handle Bob…be fun to take it for a spin though!..LOL

I think you missed my point, but I’m glad you mentioned Sophia Loren and her sister…

If someone said “Sophia Loren is the most beautiful woman in the world”, wouldn’t it then be silly and annoying for everyone on the Interweb to post pictures of her sister with the caption “The most beautiful woman in the world”?

Not a bit. It’s simply a non data driven personal opinion. Always take those with a grain of salt.

Annotation 2020-04-13 163400

:rofl:

2 Likes

Enzo also famously said “Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines!” – and then shortly afterward developed the 250 GTO in a wind tunnel, essentially a rebodied 250 GT that magically went 30 mph faster and handled better.

Andy Capp! Ye gods, that takes me back. The carpenter at my school holiday demolition contractor job always bought the Daily Mirror.

I used to say opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one. Except it’s frequently not true (the arsehole bit) if you’ve had bowel surgery…

He also said “horse pull don’t push” as he bucked rear mounted engines. He also wanted nothing to do with disc brakes…
I’m Italian and love Ferraris but heard that the “Commendatore ” was a tough hard headed cookie.

Ok, smart arse :wink: Let’s say the hypothetical quote about Sophia Loren was attributed to someone specific…let’s say Steve McQueen said it.

Now, 60 years later, every random person claims that “Steve McQueen said Sophia Loren’s sister was the most beautiful woman ever”…that’s no different than the guy who posts Enzo’s quote under his S2 2+2.

1 Like

We agree on that. :laughing:

I don’t get your point.

Personally, if I like, or dislike something, the opinion of someone else, famous or not, may have on the subject doesn’t sway me.

As for the Ferrari quote, anyone who watched Ford vs Ferrari got a clue as to how likely it was for Enzo Ferrari to strike up a conversation in English. We forget (perhaps some have never realised) that it is only comparatively recently that English has become the default second language or lingua franca of the world.

With my roots in Belgium we travelled more or less every year to Europe as kids and even a dozen years after the supposed comment you still met practically nobody in Italy who spoke English. A few young people were learning it at school but in the 50s and 60s apart from US territories and the Commonweath nations few people really knew English. They basically knew their own language and maybe understood that of their major neighbour(s), but I’m sceptical of Enzo being on first name terms with Norman, bless him.

I recall reading somewhere that Ferrari didn’t speak or understand English. That’s backed up in this article.

I think we are looking at this very differently.

I’m not talking about swaying people’s opinion to get them to agree with Enzo. I’m talking about a S2 2+2 or a S3 (for example) being posted for sale, and the ad saying “Enzo Ferrari said THIS was the most beautiful car ever made”

Well, Enzo Ferrari was looking at a very different car when he said whatever he said, so making that connection is more than a little disingenuous.