The black fan replacement

Great now i have to look at my fan too. 89 42000miles

I wrote a blog on my experience w both yellow n black.

Hello James - where to go to read your blog?

Hi Terry,
https://foreverjaguar.com/jag-blog/f/yellow-fan-ban

1 Like

Hello James - link took me to a page that has “subscribe to my blog” in big letters across center - how do I do this?

1 Like

Pull the V-12, install a I-6. Then you have lots of room to install the fan!

No subscription necessary, just scroll down and you should see it. If you want you can put your e-mail in and it will send you updates.

Are you sure? I would think the I-6 would be longer than the V12!

If i wanted an i 6 would have bought a datson 260 z

My Volvos have a transverse I-5. Love that engine. Some of the later ones, they somehow fit a transverse I-6! Wouldn’t want to change a timing belt on that.

In England, Volvo’s I5 is a sought after engine. It is fitted to high end UK Ford Mondeos - there is some sort of block modification that is required. Cracked liners are BAD NEWS & could lead to ‘good night Vienna’.

My 1997 I5 has 206,000 miles and still going strong. My 2012 I5 has 99,000 miles.

They are bulletproof Volvo engineering.

Hey, I heard those things could flat move out … :racing_car: Supposedly they put our Opel GTs out of biz with it (we only had a puny 1.9 liter 4-cylinder engine). :frowning_face:

A friend of mine loved her “Vulva”, from that era (as we nicknamed it :laughing: ), Gregmatic. But wow, a timing BELT, really? :open_mouth: I wouldn’t think Volvo would cheap out with one of those … :angry:

Do you love it because it’s an I-5? Or because Volvo did a good job making it a solid, reliable engine?

I remember a Bavarian… he pronounced it… WOL WO

1 Like

How is it that Home Depot had this

1 Like

Both! An I-5 is definitely odd, but it’s a great engine too.

Regarding timing belt, a lot of manufactures switched to a timing belt in the 90s. Chains are great, but they do have some drawbacks, don’t they? 70,000 miles is Volvo’s recommended interval back in 1997. My 2012 is 120,000. But another thing I like about Volvo engineering, they made it quite straight forward to replace the timing belt. Nothing to move out of the way, and engine stays put. They even put notches in the cams to help line them up perfectly. And as I found out, with cams/crank in that position, all 20 valves are NOT in danger of touching the pistons (It’s an interference engine), so you can safely hand turn the cams if needed, with timing belt off. (None of the 5 pistons are near top dead center)

I’m currently looking for an XC60 later this year. But I do NOT want the I6. I think it would be too crammed. My 2012 C30 has the transverse I5. That was really crammed in, as the C30 is small. I have to remove left headlight to check power steering fluid! (But again, Volvo made it easy by putting in a quick release, so I can remove headlight in 1 minute)

I have an i5 in my 06 dodge sprinter turbo 3500 diesel its a Mercedes pos 168000 miles last year blew up the rear fixed that then the transmission went ,because when the pinion exploded it jammed the driveshaft and beat up the overly complicated gears and electronics in the trans,put in a remanufactured transmission backed up 15 feet that killed that one ,put another remanufactured trans in . Then in December going to work driving up a mountain on the highway puff of gray smoke then plumes of black smoke lost power opened the hood oil puking up out of the dipstick. I hate that truck and not to fond of Mercedes either. Btw its for sale new rear new trans blown motor 4000.00

I also had the Mercedes diesel I5, in my 2004 Sprinter Winnebago motorhome.

Great engine for me, got 16mpg on highway. Only issue, i had to remove stupid plastic resonator on turbo which kept going bad and replace with machined aluminum bypass. Its known as a great engine, i wonder if you got a lemon.

Transmission is known to have issues. Key was changing ATF regularly (had to buy dipstick as it doesn’t come with one!) And fixing a known oring seal issue (on electronic sensor) before it leaked too much. This trans is super sensitive to fluid level.