The dying art of sheetmetal work

True: WAY too many possible visual trip points to tell, definitively, until/unless it’s measured.

In a way, it is a dying art. However, it won’t fully whither. Some young people will keep the art alive, but they will be few and far between. Its definitely the type of skill that most people don’t have the desire or ability to learn.

In my opinion, its very similar to the industry I work in… watchmaking. Every year, there are fewer of us out there, but a steady stream of new recruits is still coming through. Enough of us will still be around to keep the art going and handle most of the business demand.

Just for you, mate!

1 Like

That’s a nice one, Paul!

That’s the time piece from a PIII Rolls-Royce, with coachwork by J. S. Inskip: sucker is 85 years old, and still works (note blurred balance wheel!), and keeps excellent time.

Very interesting. It may be old, but there’s no reason an old watch or clock can’t keep good time assuming they haven’t been damaged and have been serviced.

Ironically, even being 85 years old, its much newer than many of the items we get in at work. Is this one you personally own, or a picture you got off the interwebs?

Mine, from my ‘rents’ 1936 Rolls-Royce.

2 Likes

My D was finished off by a very skilled ‘young’ guy.

I am about to sell the bucks and suspension, frame and drive train on BaT or similar. It would suit me if they were sold from his shop as the last person to use them. He’s raring to go and would be an excellent value/skill option if somebody has the money to commission an alloy tub car, short or long nose or XKSS.

Contact me direct for his details.

1 Like

Your young guy does very nice work.

1 Like

Rolling out a new trunk lid skin on the English Wheel

1 Like

Magnets to hold the paper pattern.

Where there is a will there is a way.

The skills of motivated people are amazing.

1 Like

I have never seen the attraction of Lambos. And, for that matter most modern “hypercars”. Many classic Ferraris (60’s and 70’s) are gorgeous, works of art. But the modern ones, nearly all since the 308, are just butt-ugly. I’m sure they are fun to drive, but Yuk!

Makes two of us: from Day 1, the Countach left me cold, ditto with the “Parteka”–what the script, “Pantera” looks like–and on down.

Flying door stops.

PS: the Countach is decidedly unfun to drive.

Hi,

I agree mostly, but am biased and would like to name two (2+2) exceptions: The 456 and Roma.

Elegant IMO. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Hi,

Skills and motivation for sure, but a V8?!?

I would have started with the motor.
A V12.

It’s still a replica, there are Ferrari Daytona Spider replicas with a Jaguar V12 engine, why not on a Lambo replica?

Cheers!

Yea: they’re WAAAAY less expensive to work with, and more fully-supported.

On a replica you spent THOUSANDS of hours working on??? :laughing:

Like I said, I’d start with the essential bits: the motor!

A V12 with six downdraught double Webers. Then the rest would surely somehow just collect itself around that, right?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

Yes… becuz the v12 would be many thousands more than a crate motor.

I’m no huge fan of Wee-8s, but they make power for not-much (relative) money.

I’d have used a 180 degree exhaust, to tone down the V8 sound, myself.

You think the travesty of a V8 made you nuts?

Feast yer eyes on this!

Hi,

That’s where I’m lost. Yes, but it will never sound nor feel the same.

Wrecked Jaguar V12’s are not rare and not that difficult to rebuild nor to turn into serious power machines. Much much cheaper in all aspects than the Italian Ferrari or Lamborghini V12’s. And they will sound like a V12, the Jag even has the same firing order as the Lambo V12 so if you have that and the roar of the six downdraught Webers it’s pretty good.

Yes a Ford V8 MAY BE more powerful etc but it will NEVER look or sound like a V12.

Cheers!