The dying art of sheetmetal work

When you build your Lamborghini replica, you can go the expensive route: apparently the guy who built this felt differently.

As you always like to say, cheers!

1 Like

I have a tough time understanding the logic for building a Lambo replica.

About 12 years ago you could buy the real deal for ca $100.000.

Or a much cheaper real Lambo than the Countach.

Well I don’t think I’ll ever figure out that logic. Nice excercise but for what? If it has a Ford motor why not build a GT40 replica?

If you build a Ferrari P4 replica or a Daytona Spider or a Lamborghini Countach replica why not start with the right amount of cylinders?

Cheers!

It was the guy’s hot rod, and with all due respect, that’s all the reason one needs for one’s personal project.

The world had NO NEED of a Jaguar-engined Jeep… but Im glad I’m not on your shitlist for deviating from its original 6 cylinders…:grimacing:

1 Like

Hi,

Your creation is outside the box and innovative. I have a friend with a real
Countach 5000S in black, he is not wealthy, just obsessed about having one so he kept an open eye and bought it in 2006/2007.

If that self built replica was a pedal car or solar powered it would be easier to understand, but a 500+ HP Ford V8? Why???

Get a V12 or a fusion drive. :smiley:

Cheers!

Self-answering question!

I realize that for whatEVER reason, you cannot grok why someone else would build their hot rod to their liking, but trust me…it happens a LOT.

2 Likes

A friend of mine was having a one off classic Alfa Romeo body custom made. He had been working for years on the project and the shop owner lost his lease. He was called to pick up his incomplete body. My friend is now in Massachusetts taking a class in metal work to complete his car.
Glenn

Just got an Email about the sheet metal class.
Wray Schein’s Pro Shaper Sheet Metal
Glenn

Yes a Ford V8 MAY BE more powerful etc but it will NEVER look or sound like a V12.

Regarding the lambo replica and the v8, I’m sure that was a packaging compromise. The originals had the engine facing backwards with the gearbox poking forward into the cockpit, and then passed the driveshaft back through the engine sump to the rear diff. I think that would have been tough with a jag V12!!!

engine

2 Likes

Hi,

Yeah, I know that, it’s a pretty unusual oil sump with the crank, prop shaft and diff.

This just shows the cultural difference, I can easily understand building a hot rod or the Jee-type around the parts and drivetrain you have, but building a complete lookalike of something that exists but without something as essential as a V12 engine beats me.

Why not do something completely different, like Millenium Falcon or something?

There was a story about a guy who did ultralight lookalikes of Ferraris and Lamborghinis with bike tubes and papermarche or something like that and they were all pedal powered! :smiley:

Carry on!

Another young sheet metal guy, bringing a rotten flat-floor back from the brink.

He fabricated the entire bulkhead structure by hand!!

1 Like

AHA!!! Thats the easy way to replace the heater pipes.

And to retrieve the lost clips offa the wiper arms…:persevere:

1 Like

What is the new panel in the 5th photo from the top? I can’t figure out where that one goes…

That’s the inner scuttle panel, lying out from from its normal position.

That is unbelievable……… I wonder how many hours went into that……glad I’m not paying the bill

1 Like

Simply stunning mastery of metal.

1 Like

I’ll post that question, and see if he responds.

Ask his wife - she’ll know to the minute, and ALWAYS respond…:slight_smile:

1 Like