The Fan Sequel, This Time It's the Heater

I was so happy with the output of the Four Seasons #35576 blower motor I decided to buy another and replace the heater motor while retaining the stock nylon blower wheel.

The two motors are virtually the same size physically, new motor to the left. I trimmed off the two mounting studs on the bottom to within a couple of threads of the nuts. I also had to slightly elongate the two holes on the mounting plate the motor attaches to. The distance between the studs on the new motor is about 1/16" less than the original motor. After attaching he motor to the place I also reduced the length of those studs. Other than that is’s simply a parts swap.

The motor in place. I transfered the “Smiths” sticker from the old to the new.

I now get much more air out of the floor vents and expect the defrosters will also be much more effective. You can actually hear the air moving where before all you heard was the motor moaning away.

Time to change both motors, AC and heater: 8-10 hours.
Cost of motors and R134A: $65 US.
Happy wife who will ride in the car in air conditioned comfort: Priceless.

5 Likes

FYI for anyone considering this mod.
I searched for “Four Seasons #35576 blower motor”
Top 4 “hits” were:

Amazon $44.68 Four Seasons/Trumark 35576 Blower Motor without Wheel
Summit Racing $36.99 Four Seasons Blower Motors 35576
Rock Auto $36.79 FOUR SEASONS 35576
Auto Zone $37.99 Four Seasons New A/C Heater Blower Motor 35576

1 Like

I bought them at Advance Auto Parts, About $31 including tax. Not in stock so they ordered them, no additional charge for the shipping to the store.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-single-shaft-closed-cw-ccw-blower-motor-w-o-wheel-35576/18891241-P?searchTerm=35576

That’s a nice installation, good work

1 Like

Thank you, John…

I still have a supply of motors and blades that I never worked up to a product. I didn’t get the output I was looking for, but the setup will at least match anything reported here. And the motors are powder coated. Cheap, take them off my hands or they go to the dump. PM me for info.

Converted to pm
…:,::::;:

Wow. That a really generous offer, Mike. Please send me one. I’d love to see how well it works. Please send me a PM and tell me where to send the check for postage.

Sending you a PM…

1 Like

Inspired by John’s effort, I decided to replace the heater fan motor in my '69 OTS, as the original seems more efficient at converting electricity into noise than air movement. If it rains on the Cascade Oil Leak next week, I’m probably going to need the screen demist function to work… I haven’t finished the installation yet, but a couple of points that perhaps John can confirm or deny based on his experience:

1. I found that the shaft of the four seasons motor was a fraction too large for the hole in the fan. I had to connect it across the battery and hold a sheet of sand paper around the shaft while it span to remove enough material to make it fit.

2. The original motor span anti-clockwise as viewed from above. Tests with the new motor suggest that to get the same direction of rotation the black wire on the motor needs to the Ground connection.

I have now mounted the new motor on the base plate, and all that remains is to make the electrical connections, insert the fan into the enclosure, replace the battery, and fire it up. I’ll report back tomorrow all being well.

-David

Hi David.

Both 1 and 2 are as I experienced as well. I choose to enlarge the fan wheel hole ever so slightly.

I have so little confidence in my own ability that I wanted to keep the fan wheel unchanged, so that I could revert to the original motor if necessary. That said, I’m sure it’s a lot easier to enlarge the fan hole than shave the motor shaft…

The truth be told I never thought of reshaping the motor shaft. But I think that’s probably a better solution to the problem.

Well I finished the job today, and the fan is installed and running. It’s less noisy than the old one (who’s bearings were probably on the way out), and seems to shift a bit more air. The flow is still fairly anemic, but I really didn’t want to do the metalwork surgery to the heater enclosure that installing the Fiero fan involves. Thanks to John for giving me the courage to try it just before the Oil Leak.

1 Like

“Now that it’s too late…” I think the real air moving obstacle is that bi-directional fan cage. I have looked them up on the internet, not expensive, but I bet that would move more air.

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

I looked and couldn’t find a wheel the right size to be a drop in replacement. Not to say there isn’t one out there, just that I couldn’t find one.

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have a part number for a fan cage (wheel) that can be used with the Four Season motor?

Thank you,

Rich

Again, I have a supply of wheels and motors that are pretty much surplus. The wheels would probably match the four seasons motor. Drop me a PM if interested.

I bought a motor and wheel as a set and then cut down the wheel with a Dremel. Glued the outer support ring back in with crazy glue! Works like a charm! Got the blower off eBay.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and all that.

Two of my nephews were born and raised in Regina. Both moved to Ontario for a few years but then moved back. Must be the air or something, or maybe they just missed that great Buffalo Pound lakewater :sunglasses: