The Last Of The Series 1 Roadsters Is On BaT

My car won three firsts in class in 1988 and then I got tired of both it and me overheating in hot summer weather. I upgraded the cooling system, starter motor and had the exhaust manifolds ceramic coated. It won’t win any JCNA shows anymore, but it’s purpose as a much more reliable and pleasurable driving vehicle is firmly cemented.

And I saved all the old parts if a future owner wants to go back in time. But why would you?

I’m not arguing that at all. I’m arguing that the date a 4.2 S1 was produced makes it no more significant than a 4.2 S1 produced a week or month or six months previously, and certainly not as significant as the earliest cars.

1 Like

Maybe a future owner will want to win three firsts in class?

–Drew

2 Likes

Certainly the 61 OBL cars are top dog. The last one sold on BaT a few months ago was a project, and it went for $220k. 66 and 67 OTS projects are going in the $80s. I haven’t seen an OBL in concours condition.

The 62 - 64 market has taken the biggest hit, with 61 OBLs and 66 and 67s climbing the highest. And 61 OBL coupes are the rarest of the rare, since so few were built.

Are you seeing anything different?

Which makes me doubly glad I sold Tweety when I did.

But they’re still going for a small fortune!

No. I’m seeing the same, but that goes to another conversation entirely. What I’m respectfully disagreeing with is your opening statement about the significance of the auction car …

Quality and condition the same, perceptions of what makes one car more valuable than another change with time. Prior to 2007, all 1967 MY E-types were valued the same by Hagerty and the Hemmings Old Cars Price Guide regardless of headlight treatment. Then around the same time as the 2007 financial crisis the two went their separate ways and never looked back. If anything, the percentage spread between the two has been widening greatly.

There’s also no doubt in my mind that the percentage spread between coupes and roadsters has been narrowing. In January 2007, roadsters were valued 47% higher than coupes. In January last year the premium narrowed to 10%

Markets and perceptions of value aren’t static.

3 Likes

All great points……
My original post though was COST to Sell
Hope they are ALL worth millions
But very soon when the mileage tax, carbon tax , old car tax and all the rest hit
The down turn will be dramatic
Look I celebrate Columbus Day!
Now if I say Columbus today I end up like Mussolini
So I’m driving today my Etype as much as possible
The times they are a changing
Just leave me alone😳

Here’s BAT right now

The numbers are terrible
Not finished but look at the times

Sold for $83,500. Mid-auction bids are irrelevant. it is only the last bid that matters.

1 Like

I think you mixed my 2 posts up, Im talking of the blue car…
gtjoey1314

Well a very spirited discussion here…….markets are driven by sentiment ……if all things are known then a true value can be derived……. But logic and knowledge DO NOT drive markets ……

So if I were a market watcher ( no different than the stock or property market) ……I’d be driven not by the intrinsic value of what I am buying ( which in our case is probably $50k at best ie is the value of parting out the car) …. But by what I perceive is the supply and demand …… which right now seems to be more supply than demand however these can turn on a dime as the economy changes, interest rates etc all play into sentiment in these types of “investments” …Art and wine are similar in behaviour……. MARKETS MOVE UP AND DOWN based on sentiment…… after all who would buy a piece of canvas with some doodling on it ….unless they liked it .

Gee whiz, Joe, these are auctions in progress. As I mentioned earlier the numbers jump in the last few minutes, often by 100k or more. And you still haven’t looked at the graph I posted twice. I’ll spell it out:

This year, S1 cars, all sold (not RNM):
6 cars over $250k
2 cars over $200k
7 cars over $150k
15 cars over $100k

And read the article posted by @Ahwahnee about BaT’s success on Hagerty. To quote Hagerty:

“If we assume the average condition is “good” —the safest assumption since nearly half (49 percent) of the thousands of classic cars we inspect fall into this category—the average Bring a Trailer premium is huge. Between 2016 and 2019, the average premium above the price guide value for a vehicle sold on Bring a Trailer was 36 percent. In 2020 it jumped to 55 percent, and in 2021 to date it sits at 72 percent. This is double the average from 2016 to 2019.”

I don’t think so. Your quoted comment was made at 4:31 am at which time the $83.5K car was sitting at $37.5

3 Likes

@j_limongelli, the last S1 4.2 OTS this seller tandem sold on BaT had an offer on the morning before the auction end of $155k. It hammered five hours later for $275k.

It will be interesting to see where this one goes. Same quality resto, last of the covered headlights…

I understand but
Unless for promotional advertising
At 275,00 if it isn’t shilled
You still loose
Gtjoey

I agree with you that he’s not likely making much (if any) money at $275k, but what do you mean by promotional advertising?

What would he be promoting…his restoration services for other clients?

…a point the late, great Louis Ruykeser made very clear.

It’s as much emotion as science… maybe more.

Geo… don’t let facts interfere with a well-entrenched and emotional narrative.

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Yes……
I think so, your worldwide for 500 dollars
I don’t know the guys at all
Who knows , did someone really buy them
I’m not saying that’s true but been around the auction scene a lot goeson

Gtjoey