The main issues with my 1985 XJ6 Series 3

How could that be, what should I expect then?

The real mystery is how the CTS got into the mix, Michael - the wires comes and goes straight back to the ECU. The remedial action taken was at the diode pack, and the CTS wiring is completely separate from, and independent of, that item. Ie, is the CTS working as it shouldā€¦?

Which was why I suggested the crude tests on the CTS - particularly the wire connections to the ECU. Also, the original connections at the diode pack, causing the problem(?), may be remedial action for some undisclosed fault - which may still be present?

On the other hand; I may be all wetā€¦:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

If it was me, I would like to know exactly what the tech guy did and what was causing the no start.
Electrics are tricky and extremely hard to troubleshoot when there are unknown modifications, they render the circuit diagrams useless and you might have a very hard time figuring things out next time your car refuses to startā€¦
In all the electric modifications I did I have made notes and diagrams for future reference, itā€™s very easy to forget what you did.

As an owner of two S3 (83 and 85 european specs) as well as an electronic engineer for way too many years I can just write that I can only totally agree with you Frank!

I have been using the car as s daily drive and the performance is superb, only that the odometer is not working.

How do I fix the odometer?

Great!
The odometer is driven by a motor on the back of the instrument and gets its instructions from a board inside which also drives the needle. The instrument pushes in and twists out, not easy and you have to figure out which way, I think itā€™s anticlockwise on yours.
It helps to carefully pull out the warning light cluster and use a tape over the glass for grabbing it to turn.

Another issue that needs help to resolve, when the right turn indicator is turned on, then both sides parking indicators are also automatically turned on and blinks together with the right turn signal indicator. Anyway to solve this please?

Hence the word. Electrickeryā€¦

Back feeds are the ones that get me. Eliminated by a diode?

Or floating grounds. Only a barest of understanding. That they can exist!

Or electronic fields around a hot wire.

Oh, me the early days with my T Ford . All i needed to know was one wire hot and the other groundā€¦ No meter@! Test touch the wire to the chassis. If it sparks, it is hot. AKA +. If not, it is ground -.

Oh, oh some cars were + ground!!!

1 Like

Which parking indicators are you referring to, Michael - front, side or rear?

The ā€˜parkā€™ and ā€˜turnā€™ signal circuits are supposedly entirely separate - but generally; when dual filament bulbs are used; a bulb short will do thisā€¦

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)