Thoughts on headlight guards

Hi all

When I got my car last August it had the wire headlight guards mounted. I’m trying to decide if I should keep them…

I see there are two issues.
The esthetics: does the car look better with or without?
The practical: do they actually provide a useful function?

I’m uncertain of the first, and doubt the second.

So I thought I’d through it out to the crowd and see what are your thoughts…

1 Like

My vote is no. They give the E-type a post-apocalyptic look. They might fit OK with a rally-themed Jag. I’m not a purist either - Amco bars are fine with me and add to the period feel. But the headlight shields don’t do anything for me. If they can be easily removed, they might be worth using for long trips.

Dave

I think they work with the e type. very period MG Mitten looking. I would leave them on

I love it! You’ve found a way to make cleaning the glass on a S1 even more of a PITA than it already is. That’s pure Jaguar philosophy at work.

6 Likes

And possibly further reduce the headlamp power to a pleasing, restful glow.

2 Likes

Perhaps it should be called ambiance…

1 Like

I think they are kind of ugly. They don’t look particularly graceful and appear to be poorly integrated into the overall design of the car.

If I had a set of PL700 headlights on an open headlight car I’d put something like these on the car. I had a set years ago on a Mustang. They install between the chrome retaining ring and the headlight.

http://www.haigh.com.au/products/exterior-accessories/headlight-covers-bubble/7-bubble-cover-detail

think its the amco bar that makes the front to busy. just the mesh covers would look great,.as hard as its been to get a new windshield for my fhc I may get the grill mesh that goes over the whole windscreen

2 Likes

I though about buying a pair of these when they came up on e-bay. I’ve now decided against. looks much cleaner and streamlined without.

sell them on E bay.

For some reason I find these really bad looking on an E. Not so bad on an MGA.

1 Like

My opinion is that they don’t enhance the beautiful lines of the bonnet but detract from it. A bonnet that is iconic in its lines and beauty. I agree that stone guards on certain cars look great.

2 Likes

You should keep them provided you can source a safari roofrack with a built-in ladder running up the back of the car and a second spare wheel on the bonnet. Beef up the Amco mounts to take a bar-mounted winch.

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that! :heart_eyes:

Do you believe they would save the glass in the event of a stone hitting? I suspect not. I have owned E Types for many years and done many miles collectively and never had a headlight smash. I don’t think they improve the look, imho.

Turn them into BBQ fish fryers.

Regards
Pat

1 Like

I think it’s as likely that they might actually catch flung stones and bounce them into the glass as they are to deflect them away. If one is really concerned about shattered covers, it would probably be better to put plexi covers on and shelve the glass. Given the angle of the glass though, I think shatterings are pretty rare. Most damage seems to be scratches from careless handling when off the car.

reminiscent of the eye of a housefly

ugh.

Also defeats the aerodynamic purpose of the glass covers.

1 Like

Or parking them in the garage and leaving them overnight. :frowning: Still choked about that.

These headlight covers were mounted on my series 1.5 by a previous owner many years ago. By the time I got around to thinking about removing them they had grown on me. They only cover the headlight lens and snap on and off easily for cleaning. I’m sure they do very little to protect the lights. After this photo was taken I did however remove the aamco bars to reduce clutter and the fog lights in the cowl (for better cooling).

They work on the old landys but I think the E looks best naked. I would be intrigued however if I saw it w the guards on it.

I was always told that in London etypes were called “bird catchers” so maybe the guards were installed to prevent damage to the headlights … from angry wives and girl friends who didn’t like the owners “catching” birds, assuming they were over 18 years old.