Throttle Housing Assembly

I’m attempting to reassemble the throttle housing on my '67 LHD E-Type. For the most part I think I have it figured out from pictures found on this forum and the cataloges. Except for a couple things.

1. The spring. Please look at the picture attached and tell me if I have it right.

2. The 1 1/4" hole in the front. There should be a rubber boot but I cannot find one in any of the usual suspect’s catalogs. I also have no clue what the hole is for. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks,
Herb

Is the hole required?

The hole is for the steering column :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No you don’t. The hole is for the little return spring.

Visually, if you move the spring out of the hole and down til it’s on the other side of the pedal you have it right.

The rubber boot is C20488.

Here’s how it should look when assembled. There is also a metal ring which holds the rubber boot, under the screws.

That little hole is for some other type of system. IIRC that folded up spring just wraps around the back edge of the pedal and props it up. The legs of the spring should then be able to curl up inside the housing rather than flop out the way they are currently.

Clive,

That’s what mine looks like, less the spring and boot.

Thanks,

Herb

Sorry if I’m being dense but two follow up questions:

1. I don’t understand how the throttle spring works, Can someone please explain or, even better, provide a picture.

2. What does the steering column have to do with the throttle pedal housing?

Herb

Can’t tell you about the springs except that the main throttle spring is on the linkage to the carbs.

The steering column goes through the gas pedal box on a LHD E-Type.

click on my link in the first response, scroll through, there’s a picture.

Answers to both your questions here:

Photos show spring in place, and also show the steering column passing through the hole in the housing…

Great picture David. Thanks bunches.

We haven’t resolved all questions though.
When is the little coil spring that would go into the little hole required? Does Herb need it? It’s 19 on the parts diagram on the bottom of the thread that I linked in the first reply, but doesn’t seem to be officially used, yet there’s a hole.

While the spring in the diagram is clearly “V” shaped, my Spring is more of a triangle. It has another bend about an in from the looped end, See attached. Do you think that is an “improvement” or is my spring just bent wrong?