Throttle Return Spring Bracket

Please see two photos, below.
I’m installing the intake manifold now…and there is a Throttle Return Spring bracket that attaches to two studs on the intake manifold.

Problem is, I don’t remember if it attaches to the first two studs on the lower left of the intake manifold…or the 2nd and 3rd studs on the lower left of the manifold. (And of course it does not show in any of the 3 gazzilion photos I took when I disassembled everything when taking the engine out.)

It will obviously matter when I reattach the carbs…and I’d like to tighten-up the manifold now…and then install the carbs. Don’t want to go back and reposition this bracket.

Can someone advise and/or let me know by looking at their engine ?

Mine is a '65 XKE, OTS…42L…triple SUs.

Thanks, as always…

Harold

This might just be a 3.8 thing but on my car the only thing hanging off intake manifold manifold studs are the 2 brackets that support the small front to back water pipe. The brackets for the carb return springs are on carb studs. This might gave all changed for the 4.2 though.

Here are the two pix:

Left Underside of Inlet Manifold

Yes. The front two carbs have their return springs attached to the carbs. The rear one is attached to the inlet manifold on 4.2 cars. At least on my '65.

Ah yes, I think that’s because of the starter. I can say that to the degree possible you want the spring in line with the spring tab on the throttle spindle. You don’t want the spring pulling the spindle offsides. That should help orient it.

The first (last) two studs.

As an aside you may find it easier to assemble the carbs and linkages onto the manifold first, then mount the whole unit to the head.

1 Like

Harold the triangular bracket attaches to the lower 2 rearmost studs from the engine, and is outward facing. It will definitely be easier to attach the carbs and choke mechanism first.

OK…so quite a few folks believe that putting the manifold on the block AFTER I attach the carbs to it is the way to go.
I would have thought that those nasty, hard-to-get-at studs on the bottom of the manifold would be harder to get a nut on and tightened down if the carbs were in the way.
What I’m hearing is that the carb ass’y. would be easier / best to put together on a detached manifold, as the manifold nuts are going to be a pain, regardless.
Am I understanding this correctly ?

HJK

I’d put on the manifold first
With the attached return spring bracket and the hot water pipe front to back
It will make life a lot easier🤪

Look closely to the bottom left that’s the return spring to your plate! The water pipe is behind that so it becomes a pain the other way!
Good luck
Gtjoey
Ps just asking how are you sliding in the throttle rod into the rear holder if your by yourself with the carbs on

Yes. You can reach under the manifold with your right arm and place all but the last nut on the studs. Take the distributor out first.

Just to be clear, I can use my right arm to place all the nots on the studs, with the nut on the far right reachable if the distributor is out ? And this is for a '65 Series 1 4.2L engine ?

Last nut is the one nearest the firewall - but you can get at that and the 2nd last nut from the back of the mainfold.

It’s a lot easier just adding the carbs AFTER the manifold is on
Report back

1 Like