Thumb screws center panel S1

Can someone tell me if there is a way to distinguish between original and repro concerning the two thumb screws for an S1 center dash console?

A person is selling what they claim are NOS at triple the price of what one of the usual regulars are selling new reproduction.
I can’t seem to see a difference.

Supposedly NOS …

One of the usual regulars …

NOS could be old stock from last year…as opposed to “originals”…do they look old…if not then get the cheaper ones from the usual suppliers…or search ebay…they were used on other Jag models…Steve

NOS (New Old Stock) is a term that is often abused or misused. Wikipedia defines it as “aged stock of merchandise that was never sold to a customer and is still new in original packaging”. The “original packaging” part of this definition is perhaps the most important when verifying that the part is really what is claimed. I would be skeptical of the NOS thumb screws in your photos. The plating of the threads looks like modern zinc to me. Wouldn’t NOS ones be CAD and/or somewhat tarnished by now?

The first thing to catch my eye is the tip of the threaded shaft.
It is hard to tell from your photos, but it appears the eBay specials are flat/blunt
The original tip is pointed as shown from SNG Barratt:

Yes - it is a Thumb Screw for a Series III, but it appears Mr Lyons saved money at every turn.
They are ubiquitous:

From Barratt’s site

Suitable For E-Type Roadster and 18 more

Classic Saloons

• 420 Saloon
  • Daimler 2.5 V8 / V8 250
  • Daimler Sovereign
  • Mk II / Mk 2 2.4 & 240
  • Mk II / Mk 2 3.4, 3.8 & 340

XKE / E-Type

• E-Type Roadster
  • E-Type S1 3.8 DHC
  • E-Type S1 3.8 FHC
  • E-Type S1 4.2 2+2
  • E-Type S1 4.2 DHC
  • E-Type S1 4.2 FHC
  • E-Type S1.5 2+2
  • E-Type S1.5 DHC
  • E-Type S1.5 FHC
  • E-Type S2 2+2
  • E-Type S2 DHC
  • E-Type S2 FHC
  • E-Type S3 2+2

Thanks guys.
In the description it does state “original for E-types of that era”, but I would feel better if they could tell me for what yr of car.
Although I like keeping everything on my car original, I think this is a case where it’s just best to get the much cheaper ones since they all look identical and it’s not that critical of a part.

Good catch on that Craig!
Thanks

Just buy some second hand ones on eBay and give them a gentle polish

I think that is an optical illusion.

The point appears to stick out, not be blunt ended.

I was looking at the white specks on the photo @67S1-2plus2 posted, but those look to be pixilated white pixels from a digital photo, not actually ‘white specks’ on a black plastic knob.

Looks like originals arnt fully threaded…this from ebay US Jaguar XJ6 series I, MKX, XK150 drop down center dash thumb screw C19469 NOS | eBay

A picture is worth a thousand posts if your really interested I’ll try and remember to take a picture of mine 67 s1 when I’m at the car :oncoming_automobile:

I think that couldn’t work in an e-type unless you put a bunch of washers under it. The closed panel leans directly against the brackets with the captive nuts. It can accommodate maybe a 1/8-3/16" shank

Steve - thanks for the reply but that EBay ad doesn’t list that it will fit an E-type. I believe Erica is correct in stating it needs to have a full length of thread or at least a nearly full length.
The thumb screw only has to go through the thin sheet metal thickness of the center dash console before engaging the threaded nuts.

That screw looks like it is intended to accommodate the thickness of a wood panel at the unthreaded shaft length.