Time to say hello!

May I introduce myself as Jaguar enthusiast since 1969 when my father owned a grey XJ6 with red leather interior. I could never forget the smell of this excellent car, neither the Connolly interior nor the mixture of fuel, oil and smashed flies in front of the radiator. So after a long search project, in 2008 I finally found a Swiss XJ6 4.2 in good condition and have improved it step by step since then. Latest upgrade were Series 3 vented brakes as I use the Jaguar frequently for longer tours in the Austrian alps.
Wish you all the best and take care!
Ribolla

3 Likes

Welcome Ribolla,

we’re quite a bunch now from Switzerland, Italy and Southern Germany! Your profile indicates the SI! If it is Swiss it must have been imported by Emil Frey, been treated to a “Swiss finish” including waxoyling which tended to make Swiss cars a lot more resistant against the tin worm than cars delivered to Germany or Austria during this salt-happy period.

Did you just throw in vented discs or the entire front brakes including the SIII calipers? The improved SII brakes are more than enough for inspired driving in the mountains. Is your car auto or manual? Do you have any pics?

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Congratulations Ribolla - you should post some pictures.

And I have almost that exact car as your father - a 1971 Grey with red leather interior. If you have any pics of that I am sure we would like to see them also

Hello Ribolla
If your car is a 4.2L manual gearbox model, can I suggest you buy a helmet and present yourself and the Jaguar at Spielberg on Friday morning. Judging by last weekend, there are quite a few F1.drivers who could use a local to show them the way around the Red Bull Ring.

MfG

1 Like

Good morning Jochen,
The reason for buying this Swiss Jaguar was exactly the „Dinitrol“ Treatment by Emil Frey AG before delivery. So the entire body was almost rust free, except the radiator bar (of course), the front area of the sills and one mysterious little hole in the rear wheelhouse. Furthermore, interior and all technical components were well maintained so I could spend my disaster budget for a sunroof (BMW e34) and complete Series 3 front brakes. During the first winter break, I checked/cleaned/treated ALL electrical connectors, so after all, the Jaguar is very reliable and pure joy to drive.

Hello Bertie, could you please show some pics of your car?
Unfortunately, I have only one foto of my father‘s car. He ordered a 4.2 manual and got a 2.8 automatic with poor acceleration and permanent torque converter issues, so he sold the car after 2 years.
Here is my „new“ Jaguar:
image image image image image

1 Like

Hello Peter,
Thanks for your suggestion, in fact I have a very close emotional connection to the Österreichring which is 18 km from the place where I grew up. Some friends of my father where the drivers behind the project, Dr. Gustav Tiroch (solicitor from Knittelfeld) and Leo Bauer (a contractor who built significant parts of the ring), so daddy was permanently informed of the STMSC battle against the Salzburgring. Finally, we were invited to the training of the first Grand Prix in August 1970, so as a young man of four years I must have seen Jochen Rindt 3 weeks before his fatal accident in Monza, but unfortunately I have no memories of him. I only remember that my grandpa bought me the first Sprite of my life, and I was allowed to sit in a Porsche (908 spider?) in the paddocks. Later, my father went to the ring monthly for rehearsal with his Alfa 1750 GTV. Other memories: I was impressed by the classless society of Italian F1 enthusiasts - Ferrari Daytona and BB owners played soccer with Fiat 127 drivers. And the french Grand Prix drivers as Arnoux, Laffite and Prost preferred to stay at Groggerhof in Obdach (including fishing in alpine rivers) as Eva Grogger spoke French fluently. Great days…

image image

image image

Some more pics from this time…

1 Like

Well Ribolla, your father was plainly a man with very good taste in cars, because as well as grey S1 XJ6 I also own an Alfa GTV! Pictures of both attached with apologies for the partly non Jag content. If it’s any consolation I have posted pics of the Jag on the Alfa forums I also visit. I really should get some shots of the red interior, it’s a really nice place to be.