Tomorrow starting engine

Hi friends…before installing the new gas tank … tomorrow I plan to turn on the mk2 engine … I changed the 3 main radiator hoses … put new ignition wires … and a new filter in the bowl … to fill the bowl with gas … but I also want to fill the carbs … (I don’t know how to put gas …) … the other thing is that I worry is that the car has stopped for some time … I would have to run it water to remove the old residues that may have inside … ?? … how to remove or flush what would the water pump have … ?? … can someone give me the last tips …

Ofttimes, just a first run, with clear water, will flush lots of junk out, and will tell you if you need to do a full-system flush and cleaning.

I second what Wiggles says. It also shows you any leaks you may have. Better to lose a bit of water and fix them, than waste the new coolant.

With regards to filling the carb bowls; don’t worry about it. The electric fuel pump will simply fill them up and then shut off when the floats reach the top.

With the water, you can put a sock inside one of the radiator hoses to catch all the crud that floats around. Use it like a filter - run the engine for a few minutes, and then remove the sock to lift out the crud.

Jonv2…I have not yet placed the pump or the gas tank … that’s why I only want to fill the carbos manually … is it possible?

a womens stocking toe cut off works very well

borrow one of your Mrs

(or yourself if ur a cross-dresser)

:joy::joy:I’ll look for a sock…:grinning:

Water is ok but it will not clean anything , maybe one of them washing machine small dissolvable bag contents , they are a cleaner but don’t foam much .

I used a old lawn mower fuel tank , but just a hose and funnel will do the job ,
Worth putting the overflow pipes together in a hose and into a container , with the car standing the float needles have a good chance of being stuck , a tap on the top with a spanner normally frees them up , but may not , so don’t poor too much fuel into your container , and have lots of rag to hand

We put the hose from the tank into a fuel can and let the pump do the rest (but you can also try a funnel and a hose and suspend it far above the engine, maybe).
Leave a battery cable loose in case something goes wrong, and yes, water and filter are a good idea. I also heard about the tide pod thing, but don’t think it helps much.

1 Like