Torque spec for the 6 bolts that hold the water rail to the intake manifold needed

1986 base model Federal S3 with 4.2l engine. I had a gasket fail on the rear mounting boss of the water rail which caused a coolant leak. Ordered the three required gaskets and received them on Tuesday. 6 hours yesterday to remove enough things to get the water rail out of the vehicle. Cleaned well the gasket mating surfaces and ready to reassemble with the addition of some #2 Permatex non-hardening gasket sealer on each side of the gaskets. I have researched my Jag / Daimler AKM9006 manual and cannot find the needed torque value for the 6 bolts that go through the water rail and into the aluminum intake. Grade 5, 5/16-18 thread. Anyone know the bolt torque value, so I do not strip out the aluminum manifold? Nm or inch pound is fine. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

David near Houston, TX USA

Torque values are based upon the bolt material, bolt grade, bolt shank diameter, and threads per inch. The bolt you spec has a chart value of 15-16 foot pounds. For use on the aluminum manifold, I would suggest back of to maybe 12-14 foot pounds. If you get a leak at the joint, give the bolt a bit more turn…like 1/8 to 1/4 turn. SD Faircloth

SD Faircloth firstly, thank you for your response. There was no rust on the top of the bolt, so I am guessing they have a plating of some sort on them that resists the sea salt air we have in my area. Being you are in Florida; you know what I mean by the salt air rusts anything not coated in some manner.
David near Houston, TX

Joyful update. I reassembled the engine parts and took a test run the 20-mile roundtrip to my closest town. A few hours after I returned, I checked for leaks and none to be found. Hooray Sucess!

3 Likes