Total angst re: mirrors

Stainless steel 4 inch peep mirror through existing pivot screw in vent window.

1 Like

Hi Gordon,
That’s a nice solution! Where did you purchased them?

Regards,
Teun

Looks like one of the Holden offerings:

My 140’s at the paintshop now, with holes for the wing mirrors as supplied originally, so that’s the way I’ve decided to go.

Those are nice! But for being near 90 pounds, I’d get them fir the Jeepster.

Thanks for that reference for mirrors. Many classic examples (77!).
I’m still looking for a classic design that has a hidden remote control feature to adjust them while driving – esp. wing mirrors! Certainly with Bluetooth controls and miniature motors, someone could come up with such a design
I find myself using the power mirrors to scan traffic coming up on both sides of the car, as well as to re-adjust the viewing perspective on long trips, when I readjust the seat for muscular relief.

Cable-controlled manual mirrors take the least space within a mirror head. Power mirrors are hindered by the size of the motors incorporated into the mirror head, while manual/cable mirrors are hindered by the length of cables that have limited flexibility, as compared with electrical wires that can make 90deg turns and are MUCH thinner than cables.
The perfect mirror COULD have cables leading out of the mirror a short distance to a small electrical box that houses the motors (box placed in a conveniently invisible location), with electrical wiring then leading to the cabin with the joystick/switches judiciously located.

Smart guys – let me know when you have one on the market!

1 Like

Continuing along those lines, these racing mirrors were quite popular in the late 50s/60s, and the housing is large enough to contain motors/cables to make them operable remotely.

racing mirror

Personally, I think the bullet-style racing mirrors are a bit too modern for an XK. You could have them on an E-type, maybe… when I went to all those race meetings as a kid, that style didn’t really appear at Brands, Silverstone or Snetterton until the early sixties for the most part.

Oh, and unless they’re mounted really close to the cockpit, the view they give is tiny compared with a typical wing mirror diameter.

If you like that kind of ‘racer’ style, I think the Raydyot design is more suited to an XK:

I have an original on my Cobra, which has the full Raydyot engraved legend on the top - I don’t think the replicas are allowed to have that now.

Teun

Street Rod item on Ebay, large amount to choose from and fairly cheap.
I relieved a slot where it seats to the hinge so it keeps it from moving when screw is tightened up.

Gordon

Here’s the latest configuration of a homemade mirror for my DHC.

It’s made from brass pieces soldered together then zinc plated.

A rectangular loop of brass is lined with grey felt and fits over top of the vent window. An inexpensive circular mirror is adhered to a circular brass backing plate.
A piece of heavy copper wire soldered between the loop of brass and the mirror provides infinite adjustability of the mirrors position.
The main problem is that I can’t fully close the vent window with the mirror in place, but the mirror is easy to remove though.

This rearview mirror doesn’t look too nice, but it is functional. Lane changing to the right is much less stressful now that I can see if any other vehicles are in the blind spot.

1 Like