Transfer Case Common Faillures info Thread

Hi all, i am, Wikarina, new here, but i lurked for ages. I had a 3.0 2002 with 180k km and sold it a few years ago at 220k.

That for the presentation.

My goal here is to collect the most information you got on transfer case failure, what break, what technical data we have and so on.

The Why?

I still Love that car so much, and it is so sad such a composant made a faillure. Hopefully i met a friend who was into racing and still have a shop, so i decided to take the journey:

1° identifying what usually fail

2° identify what to modify to handle a bit have more power (X-type R you gotta be back)

3° build a new stronger transfer case

Disclaimer, that is going to be a long journey, i am not intended to buy another model of Jaguar, i want that X-type to be noble again, this was a Jewel of Technologies, so sad the fate she met.

And also english is not my mother tongue, so please be kind

The passion is strong

Cheers.

Wikarina

By the way i also posted that message on another forum (only know and lurke here and there)

--------------------Edits--------------------------

2023.11.22 : Insered a few more information.
Formating is to be optimized

Thanks for validating my post [first post hype]

Common Known faillures:

Bearings (listed, but still undocumented)

Teeths (listed, but still undocumented)

Cogs (listed, but still undocumented)

Issues to fix (Wikarina’s todo)

Overheating

Size of Bearing and cogs/teeths too small

Too low Oil

Emplacement of the plug (too low for fiiling, too high for flushing)

Picture of the Transfert Case

Ressources

BristolTransmission: Bristol Transmission (ordering rebuilt part, C2S477858) and some advices)

Internal ressources:

One of the very best ways to learn is to acquire a failed one and take it apart, that is what I have always done, and do not think I could have succeeded otherwise

Do you have access to a complete Service or Parts manual ?

I have rebuilt several transfer cases where bearing or chain wear was the issue

They do hate running low on fluid

I am totally unaware of the technology in your transfer case

Thanks for the informations:
I dont have any manual, be it service nor parts.

Wow we also have case ( is it transfer case or transfer box? ) with chains?

I know they made some chance around 2003, still, if we rebuild, guessing what would be the best.

do you have picture of the inside?

Google, and the archives here give information

It doesnt sound good, parts apparently NLA, “sealed for life fluid” (which means if it leaks a bit over the years, it will die), people get them from wreckers

As I said, I am unaware of the technology used inside, if it isnt just gears and/or chains, but involves clutch plates, it may as well be a fruitcake inside

You would need to search for the service manual before a stripdown, unless you had no other choice