Transmission confirmation

Before I spend more money, I want to confirm this all works.

1967 4.2 block (MkX)

• 4.2 133t flywheel
  • 4.2 hi-torque starter
  • 9.5 clutch
  • 1966 3.8 4 speed (full synchro O/D) and bellhousing

Thanks!

Hi Joe,
Sorry but The 3.8 gearbox/ bell house Need a 104 teeth flywheel and according starter
Regards Roger

Will a 104 tooth flywheel work on a 4.2?

Other thoughts:

1. Are all 4.2 flywheel/bellhousings the same from the 1960s through the end of the XJ6 run in the 90s(?)? In other words, would a manual trans/bell from an xj6 fit my 4.2? (I know of a conversion kit)
  2. Will the manual trans from the 3.8 fit a 4.2 bellhousing (assuming I can find one :smiley: )?

Is that also true for a 3.8 full synchro box as in 3.8 S-type?

Does it matter if my trans came from a 3.4 rather than 3.8?
Moss notes the following, but lists a 104 tooth wheel for the 3.8 XKE
“Please note that, originally, 4.2-liter cars came with a 133-tooth flywheel and the 3.4/3.8-liter engines fitted to the XKs and MK VII-MK IX were fitted with a 132-tooth version”

I believe starter flywheel combo need to match. Must use matching clutch parts. Whether it’s a 9.5 or 10 inch. The bellhousing size is the same 3.8 or 4.2. I measured my 4.2 bell to my 3.8 bell and they are the same.

So, I could bolt my 3.4/3.8 bellhousing with the 104 tooth flywheel to the 4.2 and it would work? I just need a 3.8 starter. The flywheels aren’t balanced differently or anything like that?

Balanced is Balanced, but the 3.8 flywheel is usually lighter than a 4.2. If you use a 3.8 flywheel, you need a 3.8 starter. The flywheel may or may not be drilled for a 9.5 in clutch.

I advise do a really good search of the archives, as this subject has been written up before ( a few times). I seem to remember an excellent guide by @PeterCrespin

I believe the 4.2 bellhousing is different at the centre bearing where it bolts to the gearbox.

When I did this search using just the authors name and bell housing as the search term, there was over 50 entries, including this sample

[E-Type] Bell housing advice please - E-Type - Jag-lovers Forums

Tony, thanks for the suggestion. I am not familiar with Peter and, as you pointed out, there are a lot of bellhousing posts.

I’m not sure that post is germane because it refers to swapping a 3.8 to a 3.8, and Peter’s comments seem to just say that I need to match the starter to the flywheel, unless I’m missing something.

To be clear, my RHD 1966 Mk2 came with a complete bellhousing/4 speed/OD unit plus a 104 tooth flywheel, 2 9.5" pressure plates/friction discs and 1 10" set (but that doesn’t seem to be correct). The trans is #JCN3331 which I was told makes it a full synchro unit. The Laycock is 28/61740/ 001580

I do not have a starter, so will buy a hi-torque unit for a 3.8 104 tooth flywheel and probably an aluminum flywheel. What I need to know is if the set of parts I have will work with the 4.2.

You are right there is a lot of posts and I did not find the one I meant, nor did I look through them all, but I seem to recall it did say the 4.2 to 3.8 bellhousing requires machining in the centre, as @Allrand mentioned

Seemed like it was fairly straight forward…search again using that phrase

It will be good when our computer expert @admins get AI working on the search function :smiley:

If I’m reading this correctly, the Moss 3.8 bell needs to be machined to fit the All Sync trans, which doesn’t apply to my situation since I have an all sync trans & bell. Allrand is referring to a 4.2 bell, which I don’t have.

I’ll search again, but the first few dozen results seemed to refer to different scenarios.

I have a MKX 4.2 block with a MKVII (3.4) SH gearbox on the back

Its still in the car but will be out in a few days

At that time I will be able to see what Bell is in there, I think it has the older style starter

I think you misunderstood me, I was referring to a 3.8 bell matching to a 4.2 box.

Been away for a few days I see passing all right information !. As I supplied as a hobby many Getrag 265 sets for the classic Jaguars , and before that build a 4.2 box in my Mk2’s I had to research a little bit . Got also some experience .
-Use the right flywheel to the box with its bell house, or you get trouble with the starter, the latest of course need to be also the right one. . This means a 104 teeth to the mk2, the S type and the 3.8 E type. A 133 teeth to a XJ, 4.2 E type . 132 Teeth to a XK 120-150.
-"4.2 box "to a 3.8 bellhousing requires indeed machining in the centre. Its done a lot of times and no problem . Of course you create than new match.

• Another clutch diameter is if the holes are there , or good machined (!) no problem . I use for the mk2 the XK150 and the XJC the 9 1/2 "diafragma , but aware for the right realease bearing. Try it in case of doubt , before assembling the box in the car .
    Hope above gives some extra overview.
    Regards Roger

forgotten: All boxes with its bell houses fit mechanical to the XK engines, but the bell houses are absolut different in dimensions regarding the starter unit: a 3.8 isn’t the same as a 4.2 !

The back of the 3.8 bellhousing has a smaller bore cut for the front gearbox bearing. It can be machined to fit.