Transmission cooler for jaguar xjs th400

Aristides

Transmission fluid has a broad working range. However the optimal working temperature is usually 175 to 220 degrees. The greatest heat is in the torque converter, with recorded temperatures (trucks pulling loads) in excess of 350 degrees.

Sergey

An additional clarification to my prior post.

Normal operating temperature of an engine is approximately 190 to 200 degrees. The proper radiator cooling system maintains that temperature range via the thermostats.

To maintain this operating temperature range, most engines are designed to run with coolant temperatures between 160 and 200 degrees.

Transmission fluid heats up more rapidly under load as opposed to being in park. It’s theoretically possible for a vehicle idling in park, (or driving slowly) for the radiator coolant temperature to reach operating temperature (160 to 200 degrees) before the transmission fluid reaches 160 degrees. In such a scenario the radiator cooler would actually head the fluid instead of cooling it.

Would this damage the transmission? No. it’s still within its operating range of 175 to 220 degrees. This hypnotical example only reaffirms that the external transmission cooler should be after the radiator cooler if the objective is to return the transmission fluid in its coldest.

Apologize for the long post

1 Like

thank you for reply :slight_smile: really appreciated
As you told me, I put the external cooler at the front of my radiator on a lower grill like yours :slight_smile: and lines i put from gearbox to bottom radiator, and from top of radiator to bottom of external cooler and then from top of external cooler back to transmission as you say.
but i just thought what if i put from gearbox to external cooler first then from external cooler to radiator then back to gearbox? so the hot oil will go first to external cooler cool down a bit from wind and then will go back to radiator cool down more and then go back to gearbox.
It will be better for radiator water keep little bit colder, or doesn’t really matter?
sorry for my english.
i hope i explaining correctly this time )

Sergey

Re-read my post

1 Like