Transmission Disassembly

I am having difficulty disassembling my 1967 E Type transmission.

I cannot remove the rear bearing so that I can remove the main shaft. There is a snap ring on the bearing that is preventing me from removing it.

Can someone shed some light on how to do this.

Thanks

Fred

I have the workshop and Haynes manuals. What is the trick to getting the pain shaft out?

Do I need to press out the main shaft?

Hitting it with a hammer is doing nothing.

The First Motion Shaft has to be removed first and from your picture, you have done that. The Lay Shaft has to then be removed and the Lay Cluster Gear allowed to drop to the bottom of the Gearbox Housing. Care must be taken to ensure that the rear thrust washer, which is pegged to the inside of the rear wall of the Gearbox Housing, for the Lay Cluster, drops in a clockwise direction to the bottom of the Gearbox Housing, so that it doesn’t get trapped with the Reverse Gear when the Main Shaft is moved forward.

Once the above has been completed, rotate the Main Shaft so that one of the cut outs of the 3rd/T.top Synchro Hub is in line with the Lay Cluster laying at the bottom of the Gearbox Housing; omitting this step will have the 3rd/Top Synchro Hub foul with the Lay Cluster.

The Snap RIng doesn’t inhibit removal of the Main Shaft. This Snap Ring is to stop the bearing moving forward. The Main Shaft can now be moved forward to clear the rear bearing by either tapping it forward with a soft hammer, or by pressing it. As the Main Shaft moves forward, you will need to secure the Reverse Gear from moving toward the rear by applying a hose clamp to the Main Shaft, directly behind the Reverse Gear.

Regards,

Bill.

3 Likes

I took pictures the whole way through
Helped a lot