Transmission numbers

Hi.

Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean in relationship to the original automatic transmission fitted to my car. A 1966 (NZ registered 1967) Mark 2 3.4

JBC 29038 P

Hi Tony As far as I can remember early cars had the Borg warner DG box and later models had the BW 35 box
There is an identity plate on the nearside of the box which will have the model and number engraved on it
Cheers
Brian

Thanks Brian. I’ll have a look when I return home.

I have never understood this seemingly arcane term nearside or off side or is it far side? Everyone sits in a car facing forward so there is a left and right side no matter if the car is in Japan, Australia, Canada, USA or Italy. Seems less ambiguous for an international forum. Just my personal point of view.

Remember that, in the UK, drivers sit on the right side of the car. The curb is on their right and so was called the “near” side. The left was called, in Brit-speak, the “off” (or far) side.
Cheers,
David

Speaking as a Brit…

We sit on the right, but I have always known the left side of the car as the nearside – it is near to the curb/pavement whereas the right side of the car (where the driver sits) is the offside as it is further from the curb.

All this supposes that you pull up alongside the curb in the direction of travel so the passenger can get out directly onto the curb/pavement and the driver has to walk around (from the offside!!)

Happy days…

I agree with you John, it is a peculiar expression that seems to have been coined by the UK from back in the very early days of motoring or maybe even earlier in the horse and cart era. It is generally understood by other left-hand traffic countries because it came with the cars exported or made there and was written in the handbooks and manuals. I believe it is still in frequent use in the UK but rare in other left-hand traffic countries and never in right hand traffic countries.

It is less confusing on this multi-nation forum if it is not used and is substituted by the conventional left and right terms.

With left-hand traffic, the ‘near-side’ is the left kerb or road edge, the edge which the vehicle is nearest to. Whether you are driving a r.h. or l.h. drive vehicle in a left-hand traffic country, the near-side is the same.

But yes, it should be eliminated here. There is one thing to remember to make it easier to remember - the only people using this term are only referring to a situation where the vehicle is on the left side of the road.

Peter

Well stated, my thoughts exactly.

You are absolutely correct! My mistake. I knew it was that way and wrote it down wrong.
David