Transmission oil cooler line source

Seems like the flexible lines to the transmission oil cooler are leaking on my '87 XJ12. I have been struggling with finding a source for them and may need to resort to having a hose shop do a farmer fix on them. One shop talked of crimping a fitting over top of the metal ends (after cutting out the rubber hose) and using hydraulic line.
Does anyone have a source for these or experience with the hose shop fix up approach?

Thanks
Dave

Dave,
I have had excellent results with getting difficult to find or outrageously expensive hoses with metal pipes rebuilt at a local shop that specializes in this. I have had them rebuild transmission oil cooler hoses, air conditioning hoses engine oil cooler hoses. Power steering hoses and fuel injection hoses. The shop I use has a wide variety of specialized hoses available and has done a great job. They are not inexpensive, but they are a great way to go if the hoses you need are not available or obscenely expensive.

Paul

Thanks Paul, that gives me some confidence in this solution.
Cheers
Dave

I had a local tractor repair shop make new power steering hoses for my '74 XJ12. They had no trouble at all with it.
If only one end is angled and the other straight it should be easy work for any hose shop, but if both ends are angled you have to duplicate the orientation on the new one.

Wondering what the pressure in these lines would be.
From the research I’ve done so far the pressure in these lines would be much less than the “line pressure” measured off the port on the actual transmission.

I am re-building the lines and trying to decide whether to just use a hose clamp or take it to a hose shop and having them apply a crimp fitting.
Thanks

Dave,
When faced with this decision I asked myself “What could possibly go wrong with a shade tree mechanics repair like using hose clamps instead of a crimped hose like the factory used on transmission cooler lines”? And “How important is transmission fluid anyway”?

After thinking about it I took the transmission cooler hoses, for both of my V12 cars, into a shop that specializes in rebuilding hoses with new metal fittings. They reused the metal pipes and modern high temperature hose designed for transmission fluid. I have peace of mind and know that I will never have to worry about those hoses failing. It was worth it for me, especially since other family members drive those cars.

Paul

Well, I guess my methods on a few critters is “shade tree”.

1. I installed a supplemental transmission cooler on my 79 IHC Scout II. I used a “Kit” that may or may not have come with the cooler. Merely rubber hose and hose clamp.
    I cut the steel line and spliced in the cooler. I went one step further sand double clamped the hoses. No issues, at all. As it had no way to measure and compare any temperature change, I dunno.

2. A few years later. Same technique on my 85 Ford F150 4x 4. Same story.

3. Years later, Jaguar lump time… The engine/transmission from the donor Cadillac came with the steel transmission lines. No added cooler this time. No tow work anticipated, unlike the Ford and IHC!

The lines were far too long!!! The Fleetwood Brougham car, much larger than the Jaguar SIII. I cut them just under the planned bungs in the radiator tank. I did not like the idea of a 90 degree bend there! So, I wrestled up 90 degree flared fittings. Double flared with my HF tool. I could have used steel. but, I wanted more flex than was available in the steel. I got another “kit” The flare to clamp fittings were straight. I needed 90’s. No problem, Used one of my tube benders. Voila, 90’s. Those went in to the radiator bungs. A pair left straight went into the brass 90’s. Hoses connected them.
so far, just fine no leaks, not even a weep!!

More than one way to skin………

OTH, my son has a beast of a forklift. Modded way back from a WWII Dodge weapons carrier. Bad hydraulic hoses. Same tractor shop that made up hoses for his ancient Case.

When my Jeep blew a Ps hose, easy. readily sourced at a Kragen. The fitting on the pump down in well. Ingenuity needed there, A tae for another day…

Carl

Thanks Paul and Carl, for your experience and the time to respond.
Dave