Trying to locate a workshop manual

Hi. We’re in the UK and we’re a family of Jaguar lovers. Father in law had an e-type series 1 2+2, hubby owned a V12 XJS and we currently have a 1994 (“M” reg) XJ40 V12 6L, for which I am trying to locate a workshop manual because we’ve been advised that the oil cooler has blown. Any suggestions?

I am confused. I thought XJ40 had the 6 cyl?

But I am sometimes easily confused.

Welcome to the forums Susan.
Jaguar did not produce a hard back version of the service manual, they are on a CD ROM.
This is from a post by Tukka in 2004;

‘94 was the re-design to fit the V12, up till then the S111 was still in production.

Was it still an XJ40 when the V12 6 L was in it?

Well XJ81… yes.

Thank you so much for such a prompt response. I’ve chatted with the hubby and I now know more than I ever needed to know. For example, our car is an XJ40 V12 6L (XJ81) built in early 1993 but not registered for the roads in the UK until 1994. Forward of the windscreen, it shares lots of the XJS 6L parts, which in turn has a lot of similarity with the series 3 and mid XJS production 5.3 HE engines. Our current problem is that the engine oil cooler has developed pin holes in the pipes and they are currently unobtainable He’s hoping that by getting a version of the appropriate 6L workshop manual, he can find some method of getting new pipes to fit where the pin holes appear and therefore keep the old lady running. Thanks again and best regards, Susan

Being in the UK you might find that the oil cooler can be by-passed as from my memory there are only a few days in the year where it gets really hot, I did see 30 deg C on a hire car dash one year when over there on holiday. I am sure V12 owners will either shoot me down in flames or confirm my suspicions.

If the oil cooler can, as Robin suggests, be bypassed then problem solved. If not, and if the holes are in the pipes going from the engine to the oil cooler in the radiator, rather than in the tubes within the oil cooler unit, you might find that a hydraulic equipment repair shop can make up pipes for you.

1 Like

Not the same engine I know but on the AJ6 the cooler lines are from a sandwitch block between the engine block and the oil filter, would the V12 be similar?

As Mike says above, any hydraulic hose supplier can make up the hoses you need. Take the old ones off and take them with you to a shop and get them matched up. OTOH, if it’s the steel pipes that are leaking get them welded, sleeved or replaced.

also check out the parts catalog for the arrangement

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/hierarchy/id/C01/brand/jaguar/