Tube or tubless yes another question

Need to replace the tires on my 71 2+2. Tho the tread is fine PO out on 215/70R15 and they rub with wheel turned sharply.
Isnthere any way to tell externally if they are tube or tubless wheels ? No markings i can find in wheels.
One person mentioned valve stem , just not sure if all tubed have the stem protruding thru wheel with no gland like std stem or if some do have same gland on the tubes.
BTW just installed new “sport ower steering rack” from SNG. Will
Do a post when the journey is complete…

I have never seen a tubed tire without a stem that simply poked through the rim.
If in doubt, deflate the tire by removing the valve and see if the stem now moves around loosely. Think how a bicycle stem is loose before you put air in the tire.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-you-differentiate-tubeless-tyres-from-normal-ones-just-by-their-looks-Is-there-any-way

Likewise. I like Bill’s suggestion of deflating it a little if you aren’t sure.

Eric
Tubeless tyres always have a marking on the side wall stating Tubeless, that’s the first thing. Secondly a tubeless valve comes through the hole in the rim and has like a lip a little like a mushroom that sits against the rim around the outer edge of the hole to create the seal. The biggest clue is that the valve on a tube is pencil shaped from the valve head to where it’s is vulcanised to the tube itself, so where the valve comes through the rim it looks just like a pencil would if you pushed that through the hole.

Some but not all tube type tyres have the word Tube type stamped around the sidewall. Finally if the rims are the originals, they are most likely fitted with tubes. Some of the newer rims have been made as tubeless, so if you know the rims have been changed then use one of the other methods described to double check.

You could post a picture of one of your valves on here and someone will verify which you have immediately.
Tony

Thanks Guys ,
yes very familiar with the stems on tubeless as a former car tech still have the tool for pulling the stems into the rim, and that is style on this car. Tires are marked tubeless, but AFAIK there still could be tubes inside.

Hi Eric
Apologies for trying to teach granny to suck eggs, but the valve in the lower picture certainly looks like a tubeless valve to me. You may also recall that some of the tyre people do not recommend fitting a tube inside a tubeless tyre. I can’t recall now the technical reason but something to do with the inside of the tyre being rougher than a tube type tyre and thus rubbing on the tube. However it is not unknown for tubes to be used.

Perhaps someone will be along with the technical reason.

If you are having the tyres replaced then whilst the tyre is off have a look at the sealing around the spokes, I have a tubeless rim in the garage where it leaked around one of the spokes due by the looks of it to careless fitting of a tyre which either it or perhaps a tyre lever used during fitting had torn some of the sealant away causing a very slow leak.
Tony

One of my aftermarket wire wheels with tubeless tires also developed a slow leak at a spoke. Instead of trying to reseal the wheel (inside), I just put a tube in it. No problems now 4 years later and @ 2,000 additional miles. Automobile tubes are pretty tough, much thicker than bicycle tubes.
Maybe if you are cornering hard, burning rubber or skid braking would I probably not recommend tubes in tubeless tires, but under “normal” driving conditions, a tube in a tubeless tire is just fine in my opinion.

I agree, that is a tubeless valve.

It’s easy to check for small leakage at the spokes, with the tire on and at pressure you can spray a dilute solution of water and dish soap on the rim. Even a very small leak that would take weeks to make the tire look low will be apparent in a minute (big blob of foam will appear).

1 Like

I’m confused by that. If (as you say) that is a tubeless valve then I see no way ‘there still could be tubes inside’.

As mentioned earlier it is so easy to check. Jack up that corner of the car. Release most of the air from the tire. Try to push the valve stem into the valve stem hole a bit. If it moves at all there is a tube behind it.

I agree that this is simple to check just by letting air out of the tire. A word of caution on relying upon the tire markings. None of the wire wheels original to these cars, or even later replacements had wheels which could be run without tubes. I don’t know the cutoff date, but most wheels from the 90s still required tubes. In addition, it is very difficult to find replacement tires which are not made to a tubeless specification. As a result, many cars still use tubes with tubeless tires because the wheels requires them. My E-Type has used tubes for 50 years and 125,000 miles without any problems.

Thanks all for the comments and info , looks as suspected they have tubes even thought the stem has a flared portion on the exterior. I did deflate my sapare and was able to deflect it enough to determine its too loose to to be a std tubeless stem . Honestly , main reason wanting to know is having trouble finding a shop that will change the tires in my area if it has tubes . I did order the balancing cones kit from xks so i’ll have for both my E and TR4.

Eric;
Find a ‘farm service store’ (TSC) as most of them are used to repairing tires with tubes. I have used a neighborhood ‘full service’ station for the last 8 years to do my tube tires. A independent tire store may be helpful also.

Good luck, Joel.
1 Like

I bought new tires and inner tubes from Discount Tire, and they installed them with no problem.

Discount TIre…I did contact the shop manager tho…to discuss and explain the extra care and methods…he put his main man on it.

The manager at my local DT was who ordered the tires and inner tubes, also who installed everything. He was familiar with wire wheels, and tubeless tires, and inner tubes, and the installation procedure. Came out nice. Let us know how it all works out. Good luck. :+1:

did he remove any tags inside the tire and dust the inside with talcum powder?

One local shop, that I no longer use, inadvertently threw a valve stem center part into a tire while mounting the tires with tubes. The flat occurred about 20 miles later. Mistakes happen and they made good on it.

He was familiar with wire wheels, and tubeless tires, and inner tubes, and the installation procedure. :+1: