Tyre advice for an XJ6 series 2 (again!)

Sorry, I know this has been done to death! But I’m struggling to find a solution, almost £1000 on 4 pirelli cinuratos isn’t really an option for me. This car isn’t driven much and I’m struggling to justify that much for a new set of rubber.

My question was are there any tyres at around the £100 each mark? I can see quite a few tyres on camskill in the 205/70/15 size and they appear not to be van tyres (let me know if I’m wrong). Are these tyres going to totally ruin the jaguar ride or is it still bearable? I’m happy to sacrifice a little for a £500 saving on a car that doesn’t even cover 500 miles a year.

So does anyone recommend any tyres that arent terrible or do I have to pull all the stops out and break the bank?

Any help much appreciated!

I’ve had excellent results with Kumho tires: they don’t wear long, and as a result, stick like glue, and are quite reasonably priced.

I fitted the attached on the bride’s XJ6 series 1. They ride really nicely and their quiet. FWIW. Were about AUD$140 per corner. Paul.

Have you looked at the Michelin Defender T+H 215/70-R15
31%20PM

About $125 USD each.

Good tyres, but they will dry rot before EVER wearing out.

I was unaware of the dry rot complaints about the Michelin Defender … looks like Paul is right to be concerned about it.

Not so much the Defender in particular: from the OP…

… I use Defenders, and love them, but, they’ll easily go 60k miles. I regularly go 75-80,000 miles on them.

Good price, decent handling, but… in the 6 years tires are good for, the Defenders will have covered less than half their useful life.

The Kumhos will handle better than the Michelins, and be essentially used up by the 6 year limit.

Thanks for the advice, kumhos and the pirelli scorpions both look like potential candidates.

Which model kumhos are you talking about out of interest?

Many thanks

Whichever size fits!

Just a couple of observations from my own experience.

I always bought “all season” tyres for all cars. But, when discussing choices for my Alfa with the guy at Tire Rack (US mail order vendor) he asked me how often the Alfa would see winter. First time I thought about it, but on his advise I chose “summer” tyres. They have more dry grip, because the compromise necessary for safety in light snow is avoided.

Mine is a SWB Series 1, so lighter than your Series 2. I have used 215-70, 205-70 and 215-65 tyres (all on the same 15X7 inch wheels). The 65 series were superior in all respects, with the exception of filling the wheel openings at front. The handling was crisper, while the ride was only slightly affected (and still a lot more “grace” than modern cars with their 45 series rubber). Use of 65’s has been discussed (archives) a few times in the past and IIRC there is complete agreement on this.

1 Like

I’ve fitted 215/65-15 Fulda EcoControl HP 96H in mine and at a very decent price.
Crispier handling and not any difference in ride quality.
Love the aesthetics too.
They have a rim protection lip that makes the wheel look much nicer and overall the car looks more elegant.
I was afraid that the shorter tires would not fill the arches enough, but it was not the case, visually it works even better.

1 Like

I used to use the Duller from Bridgestone, that is a van tyre. I never noticed the ride much-it was smooth. I’d be concerned though if you were using a lower than recommended speed rating for the type of driving you are doing. I don’t drive fast on the motorway, but would want to be able to if the need was there-I have a full set of Pirellies that it broke my heart to pay for. I accept that a thousand quid is a lot for tyres but the cost of retrofitting your house for a wheel chair might be much more.

Don’t worry,

I’ve been using Nangkang winter tires at around 50 US/ea for several years without any ill effect. I even over-inflated them for summer use and just feel fine.

There are some tires around that aren’t van tires. And, you might also try 215/65-15 extending supply even more.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks for all that advice, glad to hear it’s possible to fit more normally priced tyres. I realise about the speed rating and will get something rated sensibly.

The tough bit now is trying to decide which ‘normal’ tyre to choose. Would be nice to not go for a van one I would have thought but trying to find a suitable solution. May just go to my local friendly garage and see what they recommend

If they suggest van tyres - walk away…:slight_smile:

Its important to have the correct load rating - and to keep within eventual tyre speed limits. Beyond that; there is no way of knowing whether the tyres selected will satisfy you - until you have driven on them…:slight_smile:

frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Il faut pas exagérer quand même…

H is for 210 Km/h…
How often, for how long, and most important, where are you ever going to go that fast either before the road ends or before you go to jail ?

Aristides

Yup!

1. That was my decision. T rated is plenty for me. I’m not likely to cruise at 125 mph for extended periods.

2. On another forum a guy down south is pleased with “van” tires on his S2!

3. My Jeep has “pickup tires” according to my son. Wranglers as it came with in 94!! Not low profile by a bunch.

It rides better than son’s PT or daughter’s Nissan on low profile rubber. Clunk on every pot hoe!!!

Carl

Thank you: so many seem to base their tire decisions, as if they are the return of Juan Manuel Fangio…:yum:

Got H rated tires on Margaret…because they were $49/per… and they work fine.

I have goodyear knockoffs… that is, goodride 205/70 r15 all-seasons and they‘ve gotten loud. Apart from that they seem fine, when there is no snow they are decent. I have seen kumho and nankang, but the pirellis and fulda would be nicer.
David