Tyres for jaguar xk 120

could any one suggest the best tyres to buy for a jaguar xk 120 ots.

philip

Hi Philip:

This is a topic that as come up often on this Forum. If you wish to check the archives you can read the opinions of many members. From my own personal perspective, since the seventies I have used Pirelli Cinturatos, Coker Classics and, currently, Bridgestone Ecopias. All of these were or are of radial construction, the Coker and Pirelli tube-type and the Bridgestone tubeless . The Coker Classic is sized at 600.16, the Ecopia at 195/80R16, the Pirelli 185SR16.

The reason I switched to Cokers was simply because I could no longer access the Pirellis in Canada, short of importing them from the UK. I am now using the Ecopias based on the experience and recommendations of other members of this Forum. Some prefer bias-ply construction as per the original tyres on the XK120, but my preference has been radials simply because they offer less rolling resistance. If you read the archive entries you will note that choice may depend on whether or not your car has steel or wire wheels. Steel wheels mean rear spats which, on Ecopias at a slightly wider width, can possibly result in chafing of the sidewall against the spat or rear hubcap under spirited cornering. Others have used different brands, however, these have been my choices.

Chris.

Tell us more about your expectations and intended use of the car. We have a local owner that has two sets, one for show (bias ply) and one for go (radials).

Hi John,
Thank you for your email.
My intentions are to keep as close as possible to the original build up of my XK120 and that including the tyres .
Although I live in a relative small country where I do cruise on a regular basis , I do every now and then hit the Italian roads , cruising from one city to another. However this will take place only during summer season.

My XK120 is fitted with chromed wire wheels.

On a different note can anyone help me trace a water/oil gauge for sale.

Rgds

Philp

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the information provided in your mail.

I appreciated it.

Rgds

Philip

I have different tyres on several XKs. The Vredestein Classic are inexpensive, radial and good to drive on.
The Dunlop RS5, no longer manufactured, give the best period look, but are cross ply, uneven the first 7 min and don´t hold the road like radials. But they are cool.
The best for driving are Michelin PiloteX. 80 profile radials and look like period 50 tyres.
Peder

Hi Peder,
Thank you for passing on information .
Are Pilotex 80 profile you suggest the same as Le Michelin 6.00x16 (185).

Rgds

Philip

Hi Philip,
Are the Michelin 600x16 radials?
The Pilote X are 80 profile radials and give modern handling
Peder

Skickat från min iPad

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the interesting and valid information provided .

I appreciated it.

Rgds,

Philip