Unable reset check engine light

Hi Everybody
I’m unable to reset check engine light on '98 x308,
The car has timing related issues and codes in the past but i have fixed front end complete with guides and chains etc and than proceeded to reset the light with the torque app, Now i have no stored codes, no freeze frames, monitors are ready and no other issues, driven car for more than 1000km, did few hard resets (battery), tried jaguar specific obd scanners but the light stays on till i start the engine, once started MIL disappears
Any idea what is missing?

I hate to sound like a broken record…How many miles are on the 1998?
Pete C, hold on tight :slight_smile:
GTJOEY1314

The light is SUPPOSED to stay on until the engine is started!!
Many lights remain lit until the engine is started as a ‘bulb-test’.

If you continue to ‘clear all DTCs’ or disconnect the battery, you will need to perform all ‘readiness-tests’ to change the P1000 to P1111.

bob

1 Like

Bob, you are absolutely right, i just have looked at bunch of youtube videos and it looks like in all healthy car cases light stayed lit till car has been started, i guess i’ve been too paranoid trying to wrap my head around the non-issue but you guided me in the right direction :slight_smile:
Thx

Jack:
Take a deep breath. Exhale! Chill and start enjoying the car! :slight_smile:

Hehe I was unable to wrap my head arround that light, logicaly it should’t be there unless fail is detected but it seems having engine off is an fault itself!!
Old jags did not come with all that gadgetry :slight_smile:

I am pretty sure that is an OBDII requirement so you can tell if the light has burned out (or if someone put black tape over it!). Too bad it is not illuminated if the car has not passed “readiness” checks. “Readiness” is why you should always carry a scanner when buying a used car…

I was imaging it would light up at the initial check and then go off just as the airbag light but it stayed lit till i started the car so i thought ecu may be detecting some error which gets corrected once car is running. God bless it is not the case…

Good to see you are still hanging in there Ross, nice to have you and Gary back as I’ve missed the banter!

Hey Neil:
Yep, I’m still on the reight side of the grass… Just not doing too much Jag-u-wah stuff lately.