Under dash wiring conumdrum

While re-installing my entire re-built steering column and new turn signal assembly, I noticed two unusual conditions. First was a random, non-factory looking two wire set. These two wires were knotted up and stuffed above the steering wheel, they were cut and not connected to anything, however I shortened them since they key getting caught in the drivers door. Someday, I will have to chase them down and see what they are/were attached to.

The second issue involves some clearly factory wires. There are two green wires with the male metal connection end, just hanging and there are two brownish female connectors just hanging nearby. Given the connector on the green wire male ends, they do not seem to fit properly in the two female wire ends. Here is a pic of all four wires. I’m guessing that they belong together, but unsure which wire goes where, although both male wires are green, so maybe it doesn’t make a difference. The real question is, do they belong together?

Those black things are correct connectors but the bullets on the green wires are something from Ace Hardware - likely too small to securely connect with the female bullet connection.

Hard to see wire color & tracer on braided wires. One may be red/yellow which could be the generally unused fog light lead.

Also, the two green wires look like they may be light green (or at least not the same as the common factory green). Since they have the same connectors it is also possible that they were intended to be connected together.

The answer is the tedious but necessary tracing of the wires back to their source.

On mine I have the same two disconnected wires. I worried about this. But everything works so I’m not sure they do anything on this model car with the accessories you have. Before you spend a lot of time chasing where they go see if everything works.

1 Like

Anyone know a way or tool to push a “signal” of some type into those wire ends and use that signal to trace the location, beginning or end of the wire? I think that using a multimeter to check for continuity requires testing both ends of the wire?

Chet

Well, that good to hear, I guess. They could have been for some accessory that this car doesn’t have, as you suggested. Particularly, since the two green wires do not fit at all into their fitting.

I was going to put the meter to them to see if they were hot (12v) or grounded. I will get a better pic of them today so that their color combination is easier to see too.

Not unless you know where the other end is. You can put a AA 1.5V battery on it and test for that at the other end.

Has anyone been able to purchase the male/female rubber wiring connectors that Jag used. If I need to do any work replacing connectors, I’d rather that they looked original.

If you google “How do i put a tracer tone on a wire” I think you will get an answer. I have just very generally heard of the concept. Don’t know if it would work in your application.

Unfortunately, in my case setting a tracer tone isn’t my biggest problem, it would finding the other end of the wiring to detect the signal.

I think you’ll find the other end of that red/yellow wire behind the left headlamp:

It is also in the bonnet plug - terminal #6 (@hutch3 's cheat sheet):

I’m headed out with a friend to pick up his 69 Series 2 from his mechanic. When I get back, I will check that out. It seems to make sense that it would be for the fog lamps since this car doesn’t have them. I wonder if the other wire goes to the right hand side for the same purpose.

That would leave the two green (male) wires as unexplained. More research to go!

Here are two better pictures than yesterdays. The first are the two wires that are now suspected of being for the non-existent fog lamps.

The second set of green wires with crimped on male ends appears to come from a standard part of the wiring harness along with a purple/white wire.

Toning the wire turns it into a radio antenna, you trace it out using a little receiver. You use it to find the other end.

Michael,
Is this what you are referring to?

That’s half the tool…there’s a probe that goes with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-Tone-Probe-PRO/dp/B07VYN98QV/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=tone+tester&qid=1600646881&sr=8-5

Thanks Michael…makes sense.
I just ordered both from Amazon - I’ll report back once I use them. The PO spliced a number of wires into the harness for the left rear lights and I’m hoping that with this tool I can trace the wires and maybe get my backup lights wired (they had been removed when I bought the car) and my hazard/blinkers working properly too.
Chet

When I installed my Rhode Island Wiring harness into my 67 2+2, I was surprised at how many wires from the dash harness to the left and right harnesses leading to the rear of the car seemed to “plug back into themselves” so to speak. It all worked out but it would have been very confusing without the schematics they supplied. Not to say this has anything to do with your original post but just a heads up.

Thanks Michael…makes sense.
I just ordered both from Amazon - I’ll report back once I use them. The PO spliced a number of wires into the harness for the left rear lights and I’m hoping that with this tool I can trace the wires and maybe get my backup lights wired (they had been removed when I bought the car) and my hazard/blinkers working properly too.
Chet

Just reporting back and highly recommend the Klein Tool tracer. It made finding my missing back up light wire easy. Basically just plugged the red wire onto the switched wire from the back up light switch and the black to a ground. Set it to produce a tone and used the separate “wand” to find the wire. Worked like a charm. Turns out the PO had attached it to one of the wires for the license plate light. I had to remove the light assembly in order to locate it and I would never have found it if it weren’t for this tool.

Chet

1 Like