Unusual modified XK engine

Any ideas whats modifications are done here?

I don’t know, but it looks like a marine application.

2 Likes

It might be perspective, but it looks pretty small in comparison to the pair of hands.

Coventry Climax?

From what I understand this is a Jaguar engine used in a non Jaguar body and raced in hillclimbs however the mods seem extreme.

graham
where did the photo come from ie what magazine or facebook page or?

Looks like a four cylinder with two distributors and a vertical shaft driving the camshafts? Riley, ERA, Meadows, AC?

Hi Terry.

This is what I understood to be W C Lucas’s ‘Elgaram’ or the ‘Beast’ from around 1965.

Is it an XK engine? 4 or 6 cyl?

Regards, Graham.

Hi Rob.

See my other posted reply to Terry

Regards Graham.

Also Terry.

Did you receive my email with the customised XK120 photos in the US?

Graham

Not an XK four cylinder in my opinion.
It looks like a 4 cylinder twin OHC with the cams driven by a vertical shaft going up to bevel gears inside those two round covers in front, with two horizontal magneto distributors out the sides also driven by bevel gears off the crankshaft, 8 spark plugs, two SU carbs, no intake manifold just short pipes.
Without a better picture I’m guessing some lesser known 1920s race engine such as Anzani, Bertelli, Blackburne, Alta, Meadows, ERA, AC or Riley.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like an XK engine to me either. No bridge at the front of the head. I recently saw an XK marine application - engine faced in the other direction!

Intake & exhaust are on opposite sides compared to an XK as well.
Dave

Is the negative reversed?

Why are the carbs on the wrong side? Desmo drive on the cams? Four cylinder twin ignition engine?

Looks like an old Miller Indy engine.

Not likely, but Im fairly sure it is NOT an XK.